Mitacs Step: Proactive and Practical Communications & Teamwork - Burnaby (Nov 28, 2012)
When: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Time: 9:00pm-4:00pm (Registration 8:30am SHARP)
Where: Simon Fraser University / Bennett Library
Room: Thesis Defence Room (2020)
Fine-tune your ability to work within teams in academia and industry! We encourage you to take this opportunity to experience first-hand, the power of effective communication whether it be communicating your research through presentation or working within teams.
Skills you can use today! Learn how to work more effectively with others throughout your internship and your current or future careers.
Although we communicate in many ways every day, few of us are consistently effective. Assumptions, old patterns, and unhealthy paradigms can sabotage our efforts for clear, respectful communication. Teams play a vital role in cultures around the world. From sport teams to organizational teams, learning how to work within a group is pivotal to professional success.
- Understand how personal assumptions and mental models adversely influence communication
- Learn how to determine your own personal assumptions and how to avoid them
- Learn to navigate and approach difficult conversations.
- Identify the qualities of a high-performing team
- Find a balance between task and process within teams
- Identify and use Tuchman’s group development model
- Identify and implement the 12 criterion for team success
- Understand the use of roles, decision-making and group vision