How to apply
How to apply
Mitacs Elevate is now accepting applications for the Summer 2014 call for proposals. Interested applicants are encouraged to review the Elevate program guide for full eligibility and program details before applying.
IMPORTANT – Applicants are encouraged to submit a Letter of Intent before submitting a full application. Letters of Intent can be submitted by clicking here. The deadline for Letters of Intent is: August 6, 2014 at 5:00 pm PST.
Applicants must email their application package to elevate(at)mitacs.ca by August 19, 2014 at 1:00 pm PST. A complete application package for Elevate 2-year fellowships consists of the following:
Application Package Checklist
- A completed application form
- A memorandum signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three letters of support:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization
- For Ontario applicants ONLY - a completed Ontario Notice of Collection of Personal Information and Consent
- Any supplementary documents as applicable
If references would like to send their letters confidentially, they may email them to elevatereferences(at)mitacs.ca. All letters must be received at Mitacs by the competition deadline.
When you have all the necessary documents ready, please submit them by email to elevate(at)mitacs.ca. All applicants will receive a confirmation email from Mitacs when a complete application has been received.
Guidelines: Recommendation letter from former/current supervisors
Former or current supervisors who are providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- When did you supervise the proposed fellow, and how many other students have you supervised at the same level?
- Relative to the other students you have supervised at the same level, how productive was the proposed fellow while under your supervision (e.g. publications, patents, etc.)?
- If possible, please comment on the productivity of the proposed fellow, relative to other researchers you have known at the same career stage.
- Are there any outstanding achievements (e.g. high-impact research results, awards, etc.) by the proposed fellow that you would like to further comment on?
Guidelines: Recommendation letter from companies
A current or potential industrial supervisor who is providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- To what extent have you interacted with the applicant and/or the proposed academic supervisor in the past?
- Based on the proposed research project and on the previous interactions you had with the applicant, how do you foresee that the applicant’s work might benefit your company?
- If you are not already collaborating with the applicant, how do you envision your role in an eventual partnership? For example, you may describe the expected level of implication of your enterprise in terms of project design, in-kind contributions and access to facilities;
- The Elevate program provides professional skills and R&D management training to fellows. Please comment whether you anticipate this training to be beneficial to the success of the fellow and your collaborative research project. If the fellow will have additional training opportunities through your organization, please provide details on these.
- If applicable, please describe the location/site that the applicant will be working at, and how much time you expect the applicant to work directly with your company
- Please indicate your willingness to fund the applicant for the duration of the fellowship and in what amount. If you are unable to support the fellow for the entire two years, please provide an explanation.
Latest elevate News
In the past year I have learned much about the industry side of biotechnology and your program has expanded many of the professional skills that I was hoping to obtain. Most importantly, the Elevate program has opened up opportunities that would not have been possible otherwise. Thus, I really enjoyed the program and I hope to learn more and develop further within the next year.