Differentially Private Outsourced Database Systems - QC-121
Preferred Disciplines: Computer Science/Engineering, Master, PhD, Postdoc (to be discussed)
Company: Kalepso (via Tandem Launch)
Project Length: 4-6 months each internship
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Montreal, QC
No. of Positions: 2
We are Kalepso (via Tandem Launch), a startup building the most impenetrable and quantum-ready middle-ware between financial institutions and the cloud.
Data security is the #1 reason preventing financial institutions from reaping the benefits of the cloud.
Our solution allows financial institutions to securely store files and databases while retaining search and retrieval functionality; the technology itself is based on years of research at Harvard.
Kalepso effectively masks all leakage channels from everyone - even from a compromised cloud, service, or user.
We develop solutions that allow financial institutions to securely store files and databases while retaining search and retrieval functionality.
We are interested in building differentially private outsourced database system for the query sets used in practice. That is, we will design and implement efficient protocols for answering different types of queries. We will explore two main models: a model where the pattern of records returned per query is visible to the server, and a model where access to underlying records is performed via an ORAM protocol. In both cases, we will explore the use of differentially private sanitizers.
Background and required skills
Research for new algorithms supporting SQL queries in a differentially private database system
- Understanding the concept of differentially private database systems
- Reviewing current algorithms for answering point and range queries
- Indentifying the query/data types used in the fintech industry
- Designing new methods to support currently unsupported queries
- Improving existing methods for supported queries
- Integrating the differentially private database system to the current organization process and data flow
- To be discussed
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Knowledge of relational database systems, differentially private database systems
- Understanding of crypto concepts is a plus
- Experience in Java programming
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
- Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
- Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying through the webform or directly to Jean-Philippe Valois at, jpvalois(a)mitacs.ca