GordBoard scheduling agent & universal calendar for Gig Economy - AB-022
Preferred Disciplines: Master in Computer Science/Design
Project length: 4-18 months
Desired start date: Flexible
Location: Calgary, Alberta
No. of Positions: 1
Company: KOENIG COM INC.
The company is an early stage venture in the Calgary area, seeking interns with the potential to develop into business partners. Within the project they offer:
- An existing prototype and customers
- Market research on the initial markets as well as research on GIG economy as a whole
- Partnership with local development organisation (VizworX)
- Incorporated business with established infrastructure
- Openness to embrace new ideas
GordBoard was started to help transition from traditional 9 to 5 jobs to a dynamic work environment.
The initial focus groups for the service are professional contractors, students, semi-retired professionals and part time employees.
The service GordBoard provides is allowing individuals to share their availability. With this,
- the individual has an easy way to integrate into all calendars and controlled sharing of times available with companies, volunteer & sports organizations, friends and family
- the employer has a simple & tax compliant way to utilize the individual as well as equipment allowing to book one or multiple resources simultaneously internally or by the customer
Flight and driving schools were the first adopting and paying for the service since most use contractors to train their students. Both markets still use dominantly pen & paper or Excel spread sheets.
The research associated with this project has 3 aspects:
Evaluating state of the art software to effectively resolve the business need and provide a dynamic back-end & intuitive front-end. Technology to be used for new service is still open and will be decided together with the student.
Research user and company requirements, obstacles as well as implement
- Tax compliance
With more and more companies getting audited around contracting vs. employment, research in regards to tax law and compliant implementation is required
The immediate need is to address the requirements of Flight and driving schools, where we have established customers as well as a prototype which allows us to understand the market requirements.
Long term the service will expand into a variety of different markets such as:
- Service industry e.g. Hairdresser, maintenance companies…
- Event / volunteer coordination e.g. Calgary Flames, Stampede, COP
- Location based events and booking such as University, sports, MEC, Community…
- Shared personal & corporate shopping list
- Multi-layer project scheduling
The project is flexible and can be influenced greatly by the student working with employees and a local software development company.
Background and required skills
- Technology research
- Tax compliance
- To be proposed by the student
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Strong interest in entrepreneurship
- Computer science
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
- Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
- Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying through the webform or directly to Oba Harding at, oharding(a)mitacs.ca.