Loyalty Program - Credit Card Fees Reduction for Merchants - ON-127
Preferred Disciplines and Level: Mathematics or Statistics or Computer Science; PhD Level preferred
Company: Loyalty Sense Inc.
Project Length: 12-24 months (3-4 units)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Calgary, Alberta
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: Students at Carleton or at McMaster universities, although others will be considered. Language: English
About the Company:
Loyalty Sense Inc. is a technology start-up based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Loyalty Sense Inc. vision is to become the world’s premier loyalty program company that connects people and businesses into relationships through an unparalleled consumer experience. One of the goals of the company is to contribute to underprivileged communities in the underdeveloped countries.
Loyalty Sense Inc. intends to develop a differentiated Loyalty Program for small to mid-sized businesses. Loyalty Sense Inc. recently conducted paid market research. The Loyalty Program is mostly software based but may also include some hardware components. A differentiated component of a loyalty program is to help merchants reduces their credit card costs (One of merchants key pain points) in tandem with improving customers engagement with merchant’s business and help merchants grow their business. Credit card fees processing industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and the multi-tiered model of fees processing is quite complex. Loyalty Sense has developed a basic model and solution that helps in the cause but further research, analysis and development are required to develop a highly effective model that integrates into a Loyalty Program and accurately determine cost reductions. The systems or methods determined will also be considered for patent application. The research project will address the above mentioned merchant pain point with the following expectations:
- Begin with understanding of research conducted by Loyalty Sense Inc.
- Determine the viability of the basic model developed. Identify improvements
- Be open to completely reinvent the model and propose new solution(s)
- Analyze and form correlations between various sources of information, develop algorithms and formulas that contribute to the development of the solution
- Development of Excel/Software based model and simulations based on developed algorithms, formulas and logic not only to prove the concept but also demonstrate most optimized solution
- The model, relevant simulations and concepts should be clear enough to software solution architect for him/her to integrate as one of the modules of Loyalty Program software
- It is possible that as part of research a unique idea may develop and could be a game-changer on how we address the pain point
- Clearly and professionally document all the findings in the final research report and also potentially participate in the patent process
- Develop optimized model and simulations for reducing credit card fees
- The model and relevant simulations should be software integrable
- To be proposed by PhD student and/or their supervisor
- Extenstive research by reading exsisting research papaers/books in the existing field
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Superb communication skills – Be able to clearly articulate the concepts and document the findings
- Ability to turn the concept into reality
- Proven analyitical skills leading to solution development
- Strong willingness and determination for solution development
- Drive and passion for making a difference in the industry and making this world a better place
Note: a potential supervising professor has been identified at Carleton and/or McMaster universities. This aspect is negotiable and not yet confirmed.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please