PDF: Development of a Rapid Point of Care test for Food & Water Safety - ON-104
Preferred Disciplines: PDF
Company: Adept Diagnostics Inc
Project Length: 6 X 4 months (2 years)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Applicants are invited to apply for a PDF at Western University (London, Ontario) to work under the supervision of Dr. Michael Rieder. This work is part of a collaborative research project with Adept Diagnostics Inc. (London, Ontario)
No. of Positions: 1
About the Company:
Developer and marketer of medical diagnostic and food safety testing technology
The project involves the development of a rapid detection test kit that will enable food processors to measure the absence or presence of potentially harmful pathogenic organisms prior to shipment to the general trade. The kit will benefit the food processor to reduce microbial risk and potential cost from a recall, while the consumer will have safer foods. On the other hand, the industrial partner will possess this unique technology, which completes the entire process of safe foods production, that being pre-operative sanitation, in process food safety interventions and lastly the validation of food security through the test kit protocols.
- Development of an antibody package and enrichment strategy
- Development of a cassette-based assay kit
- Assessment of the cassette-based assay kit with food samples
- Isolation and selective cultivation of pathogenic bacteria
- Validation of methodology against ‘gold stanard’ tests
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Isolation, culture and enrichment of bacteria
- Optimization of selective bacterial enrichment media and protocol
- Immunology, antibody-antigen interaction
- Preparation of buffers and media
- Bacteria plating and counting
- Safety training for handling pathogenic bacteria
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying through the webform or directly contact Dr. Baset ELzagallaai, Research Associate and lab manager. Email: aelzaga(a)uwo.ca.