True Potato Seed (TPS) development and production - SK-001
Preferred Disciplines: Agriculture/Potato Breeding/ Biotechnology (Masters, PhD or PDF)
Project length: 6 months
Desired start date: May 1st, 2016
Location: Broderick, SK
No. of Positions: 1
Company: Tuberosum Technologies. Inc.
Tuberosum Technologies Inc. (TTI) is a cutting edge potato Research and Development Company with a focus on potato breeding and varietal research. In addition to its breeding partners all over the world, TTI has its own in-house breeding program geared towards True Potato Seed (TPS). TTI’s mandate is to make the entire potato production system more efficient, cost effective and sustainable. TTI is advancing Canada’s role in the development and enhancement of potato breeding and production through innovation and efficiency.
As we begin the commercialization stage of our developments we need to hone the agronomic best practices and optimize equipment for seed production of TPS. Assistance with breeding, variety development and greenhouse management are needed to further our commercialization and remain on the vanguard of this technology. Because this is a new technology to North America, support for innovation is key to it successful implementation and to remain competitive.
The Potato Breeding intern will be responsible for a hands-on contribution to the continuous improvement of Tuberosum’s breeding program and variety development. The breeding intern will have a clear focus on the organized implementation and maintenance of material and data pertaining to the strategic breeding program. They will work closely with the Director of R & D to facilitate the development of new and better genetics for Tuberosum’s various markets. This will include but not be limited to hitting annual and 3-5 year breeding priorities and KPI’s to ensure we stay on the cutting edge of potato research worldwide.
Background and required skills
- Facilitate Potato Breeding and Variety Development
- Optimize TPS seed production
- Greenhouse and field management
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Experience with plant breeding, evaluation and variety development – Potatoes an asset
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- Experience with greenhouse management and botanical seed production
- Self-Motivated and Detail Oriented
- Effective time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Proven ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Proficiency in the use of the computer and Microsoft office programs.
- Drivers License Required.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
- Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
- Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
- If interested in this position, Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send CV's to Iman Yahyaie at firstname.lastname@example.org