What is an open project?
The projects posted here are research projects suggested by companies that are looking for interns to support them. They are not pre-approved to start: once a match is successfully made between a company and a prospective intern, a Mitacs Accelerate research proposal must be developed and submitted to Mitacs for review. Prospective interns will have the support of their supervisor, and they will receive input from the company to prepare the proposal. The companies are generally happy to speak with prospective academic supervisors and interns to further discuss the details of the research involved before a proposal is submitted. The business development team at Mitacs is available to provide support at each step of the process. Business development representatives will help in setting up meetings and make sure that the interests and expertise of the academic partner are well-matched for the research challenge the company is facing.
Before applying to an open project, please ensure you read the following:
- Check your eligibility (see “Intern Eligibility Criteria” section below). There are no deadlines to apply – ensure you submit your application at least six months before your planned graduation / end of Post-Doc to allow enough time for proposal writing and review, plus sufficient time (at least four months) for the internship. Grad students and post-docs must be enrolled at the university by the project start date and maintain status throughout the internship. Applications can be submitted in anticipation of being enrolled as a grad student / post-doc at the planned start date of the project.
- Disciplines. The disciplines listed in the project descriptions are not mandatory. Graduate students or post-docs in other disciplines with required skills, expertise and interests are also welcome to apply.
- Confirm with your supervisor. Interns will need a university supervisor for the Accelerate internship (typically a graduate student’s thesis supervisor). Please make sure that your prospective internship supervisor agrees for you to do the internship and that they will supervise you while doing it.
- Applications from universities outside of the company’s province. Applications for projects based in one province are welcome from graduate students and post-doctoral fellows at universities in other provinces. Interns are expected to spend at least half of the time of the internship (i.e. a minimum of two months per 4 month internship) at the company site and will therefore have to travel and arrange for accommodation. Mitacs has a travel subsidy program available to support internships where the university and the company are located in different provinces.
Intern eligibility critieria
- Interns need to be enrolled full-time at a Canadian university as a graduate student (Master’s or PhD level) or as a post-doctoral fellow for the whole duration of the internship.
- Interns should not delay graduation to participate in the Mitacs Accelerate program.
- Post-doctoral fellows are eligible within five years of the completion of their first doctoral degree.
- The academic supervisor of the prospective intern needs to grant his/her approval for the internship
Interested in a project? What’s next?
- Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV.
- Remember to indicate the reference number of the projects(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
On receipt of your information, Mitacs will check that you meet the Mitacs Accelerate eligibility requirements and make sure that there is a fit with the required skills and background the company is looking for. If so, we will send your information to the company and if they are interested, we will put you in touch with them and leave it to you and the company to decide if there is a match. We can assist with setting up a meeting between the prospective intern, company and university supervisor to further discuss the project and suitability.
For more information, contact openprojects(at)mitacs.ca.