Foundations of Project Management I
Learn to plan and work with others to get things done!
We encourage you to take this opportunity and experience firsthand the power of effective project management. From academia to industry to your personal life, these skills will help you succeed!
Level one (two consecutive days)
Learning teams of approximately six people each will be formed at the beginning of the day and will work together throughout the session. This will enable the participants to enhance their learning from each other, to experience the development of a strong team, and to develop a model of the culture that they will want to create in their projects.
- Forming new teams and learning from team members past experiences
- Principles of project management and team building
- Understanding self and others using the Strength Deployment Inventory, a self-scoring questionnaire that identifies motivations, personal strengths in relating, causes of stress or conflict and each individual’s typical response to conflict
- Creating a team agreement on practices and processes that will enhance their work together
- Techniques and tools to increase team effectiveness at decision making
- Project planning concepts
- Using Critical Path Method (CPM) to schedule project activities
- Collaborative project planning - teams will follow an interactive agenda to develop plans for selected projects
- Risk assessment on the projects planned
- Review and discussion of learning
Latest step News
I am a social person naturally, but I lacked the formal training in how to behave in a proper networking event. Mitacs Step taught me key networking skills like carrying business cards, building a LinkedIn profile, and simply how to approach a stranger and make small talk which were all very beneficial, and the instructors were excellent.