To apply, you must have participated in one or more of the following Mitacs programs as an undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, or postdoctoral researcher:
- Accelerate, Elevate, Converge, Globalink Research Award, Globalink Research Internship, Globalink Partnership Award: any participant of these programs is eligible
- Step: participants must have completed at least two Step workshops and demonstrate how their participation inspired their entrepreneurship
You must also own and operate a Canadian-based company in any business sector or have contributed significantly to a company’s recent performance (e.g., as a member of the leadership team). For businesses that have not yet launched, you may submit a proposal for a company that is in development and that will be based in Canada.
Recipients will be presented with their awards at a ceremony in Toronto on June 8, 2017, and invited to participate in marketing and media relations activities. Recipients outside of the Greater Toronto Area will be provided travel and accommodation to attend the event.
To be considered for a Mitacs Entrepreneur Award, your application must include all of the following:
- A personal profile that details your entrepreneurial journey, your commitment to continued excellence in research and development, and how your participation in a Mitacs program played a role in your success (max. 750 words)
- An applicant statement that explains why you should win a Mitacs entrepreneur award for the category(ies) to which you are applying (max. 500 words per category)
- A business overview or proposal summarizing your product or service, market analysis, and projected milestones (max. 2000 words)
Please use the “Personal Profile and Business Overview” template provided. The same template can be repurposed for a business proposal. The deadline for all applications to be completed and submitted to the online form is Monday, April 17, 2017, 23:59 PT. Need help? Questions can be sent to entrepreneur[at]mitacs.ca.
Your application will be judged based on the extent to which it demonstrates:
- Your commitment to continued excellence in research, development, and business innovation
- The values and ideals of the award category(ies) to which you are applying
- Soundness of business planning
Applications will be judged by an esteemed panel of experts from business and academia (individuals to be announced at a later date). Recipients will be notified approximately one month before the awards ceremony.
For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Lindsay Ringuette at lringuette[at]mitacs.ca or 647-478-5675.