CEGEP and college students eligible for internships in Quebec
Montréal, April 1, 2021 — For the second year, CEGEP and college students will have the opportunity to undertake paid internships with post-secondary institutions in Quebec. Created by the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) in collaboration with Mitacs, the College-level Research Internship Award program will offer 90 grants of $5,000 to students participating in supervised projects in natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering.
Launched as a pilot in 2020, the program has successfully funded 60 projects to date. The award introduces students into the world of research and allows them to acquire skills in applying scientific solutions to practical projects.
Applying for the award
Eligible post-secondary institutions are invited to submit their projects and put forward their students’ applications directly to Mitacs between April 1 and May 3, 2021.
Participants will have access to two options: a 12- to 16-week full-time internship starting by May 31, or a 28- to 32-week part-time model starting no later than September 30, 2021. Detailed information is available on the program page.
Janice Bailey, Scientific Director, Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies
“Attracting and retaining the best research talent is one of the key objectives of the FRQNT, and this should start as early as possible in the school curriculum. I am very glad to once again provide college students with this opportunity to explore the scientific and research training worlds in order to prepare the next generation, with diverse and rich experiences, who will actively help our society to fully flourish.”
Eric Bosco, Chief Business Development Officer, Mitacs
“We’re delighted to partner once again with FRQNT in the College-level Research Internship Award and help develop the next generation of innovators in Quebec. Now more than ever, innovation is essential to economic recovery and Canada’s future success, and we believe researchers play a vital role in solving many of society’s challenges.”
About the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT):
- The FRQNT is a not-for-profit organization established under the Act respecting the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur, de la Recherche, de la Science et de la Technologie.
- The mission of the FRQNT:
- To promote and provide financial assistance for research in natural sciences, mathematical sciences and engineering.
- To promote and provide financial assistance for the dissemination and mobilization of knowledge in research areas related to natural sciences, mathematical sciences and engineering.
- To promote and provide financial assistance for the training of researchers, by bestowing awards upon excellent graduate and postdoctoral researchers, by providing training awards for individuals who wish to re-enter the world of research, and by offering grants for release from teaching duties to college professors carrying out research.
- To establish partnerships, particularly with universities, colleges, industry, government ministries and relevant public and private organizations.
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada by solving business challenges with research solutions from academic institutions.
- Mitacs is funded by the Government of Canada along with the Government of Alberta, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, Innovation PEI, the Government of Quebec, the Government of Saskatchewan, and the Government of Yukon.
- For information about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.