College students eligible for new research awards
Montréal, QC — A new award program will give CEGEP and college students the opportunity to undertake paid research internships with post-secondary institutions in Quebec. Created by the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) with the support of Mitacs, the College-level Research Internship Award will offer $5,000 to students participating in supervised research projects in natural sciences, mathematics and engineering. The award will thereby introduce students into the world of research and allow them to acquire skills in applying scientific solutions to practical projects.
Applying for the award
Eligible post-secondary institutions are invited to submit their projects and put forward their students’ applications directly to Mitacs by September 7, 2020. The application portal will be accessible from mid-August. Research projects must begin no later than September 30, 2020. Detailed program information is available on the FRQNT program website (French only).
Janice Bailey, Scientific Director, Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies
“As the recovery begins in Quebec, bringing in young, college-level individuals to have what will undoubtedly be their first concrete professional experience working with researchers is an ideal way to awaken vocational interest, prepare for the future, and improve our collective research strength.”
Eric Bosco, Chief Business Development Officer, Mitacs
“Our world has changed in the context of the current pandemic. Now more than ever, innovation is essential to economic recovery and our future success. We find ourselves facing several challenges, and researchers play a vital role in solving them. Mitacs is delighted to work in collaboration with the FRQNT to develop the next generation of researchers in Quebec colleges.”
About the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT):
- The FRQNT is a not-for-profit organization established under the Act respecting the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur, de la Recherche, de la Science et de la Technologie.
- The mission of the FRQNT:
- To promote and provide financial assistance for research in natural sciences, mathematical sciences and engineering.
- To promote and provide financial assistance for the dissemination and mobilization of knowledge in research areas related to natural sciences, mathematical sciences and engineering.
- To promote and provide financial assistance for the training of researchers, by bestowing awards upon excellent graduate and postdoctoral researchers, by providing training awards for individuals who wish to re-enter the world of research, and by offering grants for release from teaching duties to college professors carrying out research.
- To establish partnerships, particularly with universities, colleges, industry, government ministries and relevant public and private organizations.
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada. In partnership with post-secondary institutions, we resolve business challenges using research solutions.
- Mitacs is supported by the Government of Canada and provincial governments.
- For information about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.