Federal Budget 2018: New investments in researchers provides foundation for Canadian innovation
Ottawa, ON — Mitacs, a national, not-for-profit organization that provides post-secondary researchers with innovation-focused internships, commends the Government of Canada’s new investments to support Canadian researchers, including increased funding to the three federal research councils, as well as measures that support diversity and inclusion.
These investments will provide researchers with access to support at all stages of their careers, enhance diversity in science, and deliver cutting-edge equipment to university laboratories. Support for science and fundamental research is critical to Canada’s innovation success and provides an essential foundation for Mitacs to achieve its innovation mandate.
Last year the Government of Canada announced $221 million in funding over five years to renew and expand Mitacs programs. The investment provides top talent from Canadian post-secondary institutions with research internships at businesses and not-for-profit organizations — allowing students to develop skills and gain valuable experience to launch their careers, while also helping companies to innovate and compete globally.
Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“Support for science is as important today as it has ever been and supporting research comes with tremendous commercial and societal value. Today’s investment by the Government of Canada addresses a critical need to provide post-secondary researchers with sustained support across the spectrum, from fundamental research to commercialization.”
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 18 years.
- Working with 60+ universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, Mitacs builds partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- Open to all disciplines and all industry sectors, projects can span a wide range of areas, including manufacturing, business processes, IT, social sciences, and design.
- Mitacs is funded by the Government of Canada, along with Alberta Innovates, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, the Government of Prince Edward Island, the Government of Quebec, and the Government of Saskatchewan.
- For information on the impact of Mitacs internships, see Longitudinal Survey of Accelerate Program Interns.