The Fonds de recherche du Québec — Nature et technologies and Mitacs renew partnership for two-way international research exchanges
Montréal, QC — The Fonds de recherche du Québec — Nature et technologies (FRQNT) and Mitacs are renewing their partnership to support two-way international research. In the quest to grow and acquire knowledge without borders, the partnership provides research grants to university interns from Quebec and around the world who work in research sectors that add value for Quebec society. The internships focus on areas of strategic priority, that will contribute to Quebec’s economic development.
The FRQNT–Mitacs Globalink Research Awards agreement provides grants to three categories of academics — senior undergraduate students, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows — who will undertake research exclusively related to the strategic groups and networks (FRQNT and sector) funded by the FRQNT.
The Globalink awardees from Quebec will strengthen their local research programs by carrying out projects at universities around the world. The incoming Globalink awardees will come to enrich these priority sectors through research projects at Quebec universities. The awards, valued at $6,000, will support 12- to 24-week internships awarded on a merit basis.
Janice Bailey, Scientific Director, Fonds de recherche du Québec nature et technologies
“By allowing our young university researchers to carry out work internationally and welcoming talented youth from elsewhere, the Globalink Research Awards offered in partnership with Mitacs have proven themselves as a way to participate in large international scientific networks. These research partnerships leverage our students’ full technological, social, and economic potential for Quebec.”
Eric Bosco, Chief Business Development Officer, Mitacs
“We are proud to be able to collaborate again with the Fonds de recherche du Québec — Nature et technologies to help interns make research progress in important sectors for Quebec. The international knowledge exchange provided by these internships will help drive Quebec’s economy and innovation agenda.”
About the Fonds de recherche du Québec — Nature et technologies (FRQNT):
- FRQNT is a not-for-profit agency created under the Act respecting the ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche.
- FRQNT’s mission is to:
- promote and provide financial support for research in the fields of natural sciences, mathematical sciences and engineering;
- promote and provide financial support for the dissemination and mobilization of scientific knowledge in fields of research relating to natural sciences, mathematical sciences, and engineering;
- promote and provide financial support for the training of researchers through merit scholarships for graduate and postgraduate students and persons who engage in postdoctoral research, through professional development scholarships for persons who wish to re-enter the research community, and through grants that allow the teaching duties of college-level professors engaging in research activities to be reduced; and
- create any necessary partnerships, in particular with universities, colleges, and industry and the government departments and public and private bodies concerned.
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada by solving business problems with the help of research solutions from post-secondary academic institutions.
- Mitacs is supported by the Government of Canada and the provincial governments.
- To learn about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.