Industry-focused internships created by new India-Canada agreement
Vancouver, BC — Representatives of India and Canada expanded their existing partnership today that extends student mobility and enhances research collaborations between academia and industry.
The new agreement between All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Mitacs enables 30 master’s students to participate in research exchanges in Canada through Mitacs’s internship program. This opportunity allows students to gain applied research opportunities in Canada by working with local companies and not-for-profit organizations.
The agreement builds on the partnership between AICTE and Mitacs, which already supports hundreds of undergraduate students in conducting research at Canadian universities. The two organizations are working to build global research networks that serve as foundational elements for more impactful collaborations between the Indian and Canadian innovation ecosystems.
Prof. Rajive Kumar, Member Secretary:
“It is the endeavour of AICTE to provide quality technical education of global standards. Todays partnership will give opportunities to Indian students to work with Canadian universities and industries.”
Prof. M.P. Poonia, Vice Chairman:
“In the last few years, AICTE is closely working with industry to provide internship and other opportunities to our engineering graduates. The support to the Post Graduate students through Accelerate International programme, to work in Canadian industries & institutions will further strengthen our resolve to have quality research opportunities to Indian students.”
Prof. Anil D. Sahasrabudhe, Chairman:
“AICTE has partnered with Mitacs in the year 2018 to support Indian undergraduates to have internship opportunities in the Canadian universities. Taking one step forward, today we have extended the opportunities to our MTech/ME students to have research exposure to Industry- University collaborative projects in Canada. It will further enrich their knowledge by working in the live projects.”
John Hepburn, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“Research connections between India and Canada are vital for global innovation. Mitacs is delighted to partner with AICTE to continue and expand our partnership to promote industry-academic collaborations and contribute to the development and growth of talented young researchers. We are grateful to the Government of Canada, as well provincial, territorial, academic, and industry partners for providing support for meaningful opportunities for innovation.”
- AICTE believes that technical education in India contributes a major share to the overall education system and plays a vital role in the social and economic development of the nation.
- The AICTE’s vision is to be a world-class organization leading technological and socio-economic development of the country by enhancing the global competitiveness of technical manpower and by ensuring high-quality technical education to all sections of the society.
- AICTE’s objectives are promoting quality in technical education, planning and coordinating the development of the technical education system, and supporting the regulations and maintaining the norms and standards.
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada by solving business challenges with research solutions from the best academic institutions in the world.
- Mitacs is funded by the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, Innovation PEI, the Government of Quebec, the Government of Saskatchewan and the Government of Yukon.