Mitacs commemorates flight PS752 victims on one-year anniversary
Winnipeg, MB — Today marks the one-year anniversary of the tragic death of 176 people aboard Flight PS752 — among them many Canadian-Iranian researchers returning from Tehran, including renowned scientist Forough Khadem, PhD, a Mitacs employee, colleague, and friend to many.
Forough came to Canada from Iran originally to pursue her PhD in immunology at the University of Manitoba. In collaboration with her alma mater, and through the many contributions from her family, friends, colleagues, and professional networks, Mitacs has partnered to establish a scholarship in her honour.
The Dr. Forough Khadem Scholarship honours her life, spirit, and work by recognizing an outstanding international female graduate student in science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM), coming to Canada to further her education and to make the world a better place. The recipient demonstrates leadership and a desire to have an impact on the world through her science, and embodies a pioneering spirit. The scholarship is presented to a graduate student coming to Canada to pursue opportunities not available in her home country.
“We remember Forough for so many things: her excellence in research, her passion for collaboration and for Mitacs, her enthusiasm for innovation in Manitoba, her dedication to supporting women in STEM, and her positive outlook on life, and much more,” says Eric Bosco, Mitacs Chief Business Development Officer, who leads the business unit in which Forough worked. “She will always be remembered by her colleagues across Canada.”
He further notes that in the wake of such tragedy, Mitacs is pleased to shine the light on Forough’s life and her accomplishments through this scholarship.
“We sincerely hope that the Dr. Forough Khadem Scholarship pays tribute to and honours the legacy of our dear friend and colleague, while supporting the next generation of women in STEM researchers who follow in her footsteps,” says Bosco.
The initial scholarship will be awarded this fall to an international graduate student at the University of Manitoba.
This scholarship was initially launched last year from Mitacs support that enabled two years of funding. Thanks to additional contributions from Forough’s family, friends, colleagues, partner organizations, and Mitacs, the endowed scholarship will exist into perpetuity.
- To contribute to the Forough Khadem scholarship, please visit the University of Manitoba scholarship fundraising page
- To learn more about Forough or offer your condolences, visit Remember Forough
- To learn about a special memorial for those who died aboard PS752, visit Fourth Site of Conscience in Canada
- To read the 2020 Mitacs news release, visit Forough Khadem Scholarship memorializes Mitacs staff member
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada by solving business challenges with research solutions from academic institutions.
- Mitacs is funded by the Government of Canada along with the Government of Alberta, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, Innovation PEI, the Government of Quebec, the Government of Saskatchewan, and the Government of Yukon.