New UK-Canada partnership opens Canadian research internships to UK students
London, England, UK
Mitacs’s new agreement with Universities UK International (UUKi) will enable UK undergraduate students to take part in research internships in Canada for the first time thanks to the Mitacs Globalink internship program and the support of UUKi.
The agreement strengthens UK-Canada relationships and provides a catalyst for the development of new links between UK universities and Canadian institutions.
Mitacs’s Globalink program offers undergraduates at participating UK universities the opportunity to carry out a 12-week, fully supervised, summer research project at a Canadian university prior to their graduation.
With additional benefits such as courses, mentoring, and cultural activities, the internships provide UK students with advanced professional skills and an international network of research collaborators in Canada.
UK universities will be invited by UUKi to submit expressions of interest to participate in the program beginning spring 2019, with a planned pilot for a cohort commencing internships in summer 2020. The agreement enables up to 20 UK students per year over three years to engage in research internships in Canada. For further details on the benefits of the exchange program, visit UUKi's news release.
Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“We are delighted to work with Universities UK International to bring Canadian research opportunities to UK undergraduate students. Students will enjoy a unique experience that combines research opportunities with professional development. This partnership represents our countries’ shared commitment to talent development and economic growth.”
Vivienne Stern, Director, UUKi
“This is fantastic opportunity for UK students wishing to advance their academic and professional skills at a vital time in their student experience, as well as for UK universities to enhance or build brand new links with Canadian institutions. The value of international partnerships and competitive outward mobility opportunities has rarely been more strongly felt than it is now, and we very much look forward to continuing our work with Mitacs to facilitate this exciting new programme for UK undergraduates and their sending universities.”
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 20 years.
- Working with more than 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, Mitacs builds partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- Funded by the Government of Canada and Canadian universities, the Mitacs Globalink program offers two-way research opportunities between Canada and Mitacs partner countries for undergraduate and graduate students.
About Universities UK International:
- Universities UK International (UUKi) represents UK higher education institutions (HEIs) globally and helps them flourish internationally. For information on Universities UK International (UUKi), visit: universitiesuk.ac.uk/international.
- For information about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.
- For a full list of countries supporting travel and research opportunities from Canada through Mitacs visit mitacs.ca/globalink.
From left: Vivienne Stern, Director, UUKi, and Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs, recognize the signing of the UUki-Mitacs Globalink agreement enabling research partnerships between UK and Canadian universities.