Nominations now open for 2018 Mitacs Awards
Vancouver, BC – Mitacs welcomes nominations for the 8th annual Mitacs Awards, a series of honours that recognize outstanding students, fellows, and professors who have participated in Mitacs programs.
Past winners were recognized for their outstanding contributions, such as research to stop cancer from spreading, help elite athletes overcome sleep disturbances, and improve efficiency of Canada’s heavy oil recovery process.
Nominations for the 2018 awards are now open for the following categories:
Mitacs & NRC–IRAP Award for Commercialization:
Given to an intern for an idea brought from research that is now available in the market or that demonstrates strong support that it is soon to be commercialized.
Mitacs Award for Outstanding Innovation — Undergraduate:
Given to an undergraduate student who has made a significant achievement in research and development innovation during their Mitacs-funded research.
Mitacs Award for Outstanding Innovation — Master’s:
Given to a Master’s student who has made a significant achievement in research and development innovation during their Mitacs-funded research.
Mitacs Award for Outstanding Innovation — PhD:
Given to a PhD student who has made a significant achievement in research and development innovation during their Mitacs-funded research.
Mitacs Award for Outstanding Innovation — Postdoctoral:
Given to a postdoctoral fellow who has made a significant achievement in research and development innovation during their Mitacs-funded research.
Mitacs Award for Exceptional Leadership — Professor:
Given to an academic supervisor with an exemplary record of:
- Developing collaborations with industry and other partners;
- Providing valuable research and training experiences to their interns; and
- Initiating research projects with significant outcomes through their Mitacs funding.
The nomination deadline is October 1, 2018, at noon PT. To submit a nomination, please visit the nominations page. Nominations must be submitted online, using the link found at the bottom of the nomination page.
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 19 years to support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- Mitacs’ research internship programs connect graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with industry and not-for-profit partners for collaborations supervised by faculty.
- Mitacs acknowledges the support of the Government of Canada, along with Alberta Innovates, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, the Government of Prince Edward Island, the Government of Quebec, and the Government of Saskatchewan.
- For information about Mitacs and its programs, visit mitacs.ca/newsroom.
The 2018 Mitacs Awards are supported by Ciena, in conjunction with event supporter, National Research Council and media partner, the Hill Times.