Quebec and Ontario universities join Mitacs to increase capacity for innovation
Vancouver, BC — Mitacs is pleased to announce the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) as a new Full Partner and Laurentian University as an Associate Partner.
Full and Associate university partners inform Mitacs’ priorities and program development, while promoting alignment with their institutions. The addition of UQAM and Laurentian bring Mitacs partners to a total of 42 institutions across the country. An additional 26 universities in Canada benefit from Mitacs programs as Honorary Partners.
The Université du Québec à Montréal and Laurentian University elevated their partnership statuses this year from Associate and Honorary, respectively.
Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“We are honoured to announce these partnerships with Université du Québec à Montréal and Laurentian University. Through Mitacs programs, their students, postdocs, and faculty will receive career-building opportunities and have access to research collaborations, nationally and internationally. Together we’re working to build our capacity for innovation—within communities and across the country.”
Catherine Mounier, Vice-President, Research and Creation, Université du Québec à Montréal
“UQAM is proud to become a Mitacs full partner. This partnership is an efficient vehicle to build bridges between Quebec companies and the students from the university's 7 faculties. Our students will have access to high-quality internships and privileged access to innovative and dynamic work environments.”
Rui Wang, Vice-President, Research, Laurentian University
“We are very excited about the possibilities our new partnership with Mitacs will bring for our students and faculty. In 2017 Laurentian University became the number one undergraduate university in total research income as reported by Re$earch Infosource. This partnership will help us hold this position and enhance our collaborations with our industry partners, academic colleagues, and with government. It will open up doors to new programs and pilot initiatives through Mitacs that will inevitably increase research collaboration and success on our campus.”
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 18 years.
- Mitacs internships connect companies and organizations with graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, who apply their specialized expertise to research challenges.
- Working with more than 60 universities and thousands of companies across the country, Mitacs builds partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- For information about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.
- To see a list of Mitacs’ academic partners, visit www.mitacs.ca/en/about/partners