Thanks to $40M from Government of Canada, Mitacs proudly supports post-secondary students during COVID-19
Ottawa, ON — As a result of the recent Government of Canada announcement of $9 billion to support post-secondary students during the COVID-19 pandemic, Mitacs will steward $40 million to those enrolled in colleges and universities across Canada.
The government funds will provide 5,000 new internship opportunities for college and university students, including those supporting Canada’s small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs).
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Mitacs has launched several new initiatives to drive research and development to battle the virus and mitigate its aftermath:
- An expedited approval process and leverage funding model for COVID-19-related research projects
- For a limited time, SMEs responding to COVID-19 can incorporate a research internship with a reduced contribution of $3,750 for a $15,000 award
- From vaccine development to supply-chain needs, Mitacs’s new industrial postdoctoral funding program rapidly connects advanced researchers with industry partners
- College interns can accelerate Mitacs COVID-19 projects with development activities
“Mitacs is proud to be trusted by the Government of Canada to steward funds to support student opportunities in light of COVID-19. Post-secondary researchers are critical to solving the challenges at hand, and students are crucial for Canada’s future economic recovery,” says John Hepburn, Mitacs CEO and Scientific Director.
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada by solving business challenges with research solutions from academic institutions.
- Mitacs powers research and development by connecting industry with the best post-secondary institutions to solve business challenges.
- For 20 years, Mitacs has funded cutting-edge research, created job opportunities for graduate students, and helped companies reach their business goals.
- Mitacs is funded by the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, Innovation PEI, the Government of Quebec, and the Government of Saskatchewan.
Government of Canada backgrounder: Support for Students and Recent Graduates Impacted by COVID-19
For Mitacs news, including the following COVID-19-related releases:
- Mitacs and NSERC partnering to rapidly fund innovation for COVID-19 solutions
- Getting research talent to companies faster: new industrial postdoctoral funding to address COVID-19
- Mitacs and AGE-WELL collaborate to fund innovation supporting seniors during COVID-19
- College interns primed to accelerate Mitacs COVID-19 research projects
- Mitacs links companies, organizations, networks, researchers for COVID-19 solutions
For Mitacs impact stories, including the following COVID-19-related stories:
- Research intern key to company’s COVID-19 pivot
- Intern works to advance global health and COVID-19 solutions