Université de Montréal and Mitacs announce new partnership for international research
Montreal, QC— Mitacs, a national not-for-profit research and training organization, and Université de Montréal announce a new partnership that provides funding for international research internships for senior undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows.
Up to 600 students and fellows may participate in research internships through the Mitacs Globalink program and the Université de Montréal. The 12 to 24-week research projects are co-supervised by faculty at Université de Montréal and a partner international university.
In addition, up to 450 students and postdoctoral fellows from universities in partner countries can come to Canada to conduct research projects at Université de Montréal. The researchers will have opportunities to reﬁne their skills in new environments, gain cultural ﬂuency, and expand their professional networks.
The Mitacs Globalink agreement with Université de Montréal is the largest partnership for international exchange with any university to date and the first with a Francophone university.
The announcement of the agreement was made today by Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs and Université de Montréal Rector, Guy Breton.
Alejandro Adem, Chief Executive Officer and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“As we celebrate our 20th Anniversary, this agreement represents Mitacs’s largest partnership for international research exchange with any university to date and the first with a Francophone university. The Globalink program promotes bilateral research collaboration and facilitates student mobility with global research networks that they would not be able to access otherwise.”
Guy Breton, Rector, Université de Montréal
“The beauty of this arrangement is that it’s for all disciplines and specialities, at all levels of study, and it jibes perfectly with our mission, which is to be not only the University of Montreal but also the university of the world, open to the best and brightest, wherever they may be.”
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 20 years.
- Working with more than 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, Mitacs builds partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- Funded by the Government of Canada, the Government of Quebec, and Canadian universities, the Mitacs Globalink program offers two-way mobility opportunities between Canada and Mitacs partner countries for undergraduate and graduate students.
- For the Université de Montréal news release visit nouvelles.umontreal.ca
- For information about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.
- For a full list of countries supporting travel and research opportunities from Canada through Mitacs Globalink visit mitacs.ca/globalink.