Alexa Voice Enabled Smart Standing Desk - ON-116
Preferred Disciplines: Computer Science/Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Masters or PhD
Project Length: 4-6 months
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Etobicoke, ON
No. of Positions: 1
About the Company:
AnthroDesk is a Canadian supplier of electric and manual standing desks, sit-stand height adjustable desks, and ergonomic office products. Our goal is to have every able bodied person standing up in the office or classroom to improve their health and productivity.
Personal voice-enabled assistants are among the top emerging technological trends to date. The recent advancement in artificial intelligence and voice command has shaped the way we work and go on about our day by increasing the feasibility of autonomous processes. The goal of this project is to research and develop a voice-enabled smart standing desk that can automatically collect data for sitting and standing research. Previous collection of such activities included labour-intensive work such as the use of the Occupational Sitting and Physical Activity Questionnaire (OSPAQ), phone interviews, and face-to-face interviews. The specific challenges include tracking and logging the user’s activity in terms of standing and sitting. End users will also benefit from the voice-enabled smart standing desk by eliminating manual work and giving them comprehensive control. This project will help AnthroDesk increase the understanding and impact of standing desks in the workplace by building and improving on previous statistical analysis of sitting and standing.
- Natural, non-intrusive, and seamless tracking of activities which include sitting and standing
- Improvement from previous studies of sitting and standing (several studies using manual questionnaires and manual logging techniques have been published)
- Automated anonymous data collection of sitting and standing in natural work environments via voice-enabled standing desks
- Data processing software to be used for statistical analysis of sitting and standing data collected
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Some knowledge of JSON
- Some knowledge of Java, Node.js, C# or Python (particularly Lambda functions)
- Understanding of OAuth 2.0
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying through the webform