Cloud-based Airline Flight Trajectory software that integrates diverse flight data sets to compute fuel burn and flight time - ON-182
Preferred Disciplines: Computing Science, Data Science/Analytics, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Aerospace Engineering, Computing & Engineering (Masters, PhD or Post-Doc)
Company: FlitePlan International Inc.
Project Length: 4-6 months (1 unit)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Oshawa, Toronto, Waterloo, ON
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: Ontario, Ryerson University, Oshawa, Seneca College, Waterloo
About the Company:
We are an Ontario based start-up with a goal to deliver a global value‐based airline Flight Trajectory Optimization solution through a cloud‐based SAAS service. We are on a digital transformation journey to ‘optimize the sky’.
Our mission is to disrupt the status-quo of the airline hosted legacy flight planning native software systems in use today.
With this platform, our cloud-based SaaS solution will service a global market of over 400 airlines. The aircraft trajectory optimization systems used by airlines today were designed over 20 years ago and around routines built for processors of the 1990’s vintage. We aim to become the ‘Google Maps’ of aviation.
- It also displays the flight route against the backdrop of aeronautical data through a graphical user interface.
- A good working knowledge of No SQL & RDBMS Databases will support the company goal of updating and managing large data sets
- The enthusiasm to develop mobile APPS to port route calculations to pilots and dispatchers on their electronic devices will add value to the company’s business proposition
- A deep analytical capability in deploying shortest-path route algorithms (currently in Matlab) to benchmark optimized flight profiles and procedures using supplied 1st principle aerodynamics equations.
- Some academic knowledge in aerodynamics will be necessary to assist in coding mathematical coefficients provided by the company
- Visualization of large data sets is crucial in the intuitive interpretation and reporting results. Basic open source tools such as cesium, Leaflet, mapbox etc would also be beneficial
- Optimality in computation speed, accuracy & process in reading, integrating and analysis of 3 large aeronautical data sets- i.e. Upper weather, Airways & Waypoints, Air Traffic Charges
- Design of an intuitive GUI and opportunity analysis tool and deploying Cloud-based applications, supporting mobility ‘APPs’ for Pilots
- Transforming mathematical equations for a shortest-path flight trajectory from Matlab into code.
Architect and Design a Front end- Web based User Experience using :
- Micro-framework experience (desired)
- HTML and CSS skills
- A set of loosely coupled sub-system modules
- Structured databases
- To integrate the shortest path Algorithm.
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming
- Deploying Cloud based Applications
- Knowledge of Linux, Relational Databases
- Proficiency in GIT
- Knowledge- Java, Python or other programming languages
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please