Cognitive robot system - BC-432
Preferred Disciplines: Computing science (Masters or PhD)
Project length: 4-6 months
Approx. start date: As soon as possible
Location: Vancouver, BC
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: SFU, UBC, and other universities are also welcomed
Company: DaoAI Robotics Inc
DaoAI Robotics provides cognitive robotics systems and services to the world’s most advanced manufacturing companies. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through our passionate team.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of artificial intelligence into advanced manufacturing.
Summary of Project:
The robot guidance system, developed by DaoAI robotics, enables industrial robot arm to pick and place as well as assemble product parts. Since the system relies on 2D/3D camera, it has to recognize and localize precisely of the object. This requires the development of an optimal, fast, and dynamically intelligent object recognizing and localizing algorithm that can estimate the object new orientation based on reference image or model. The goal of this research project is first to evaluate existing object recognize and localize methods. Second, to modify and implement the best of these methods to generate a robust and fast object recognizing and localizing system.
- Evaluate the performance of the Robot Guidance system developed by DaoAI Robotics
- Review literature on existing solutions for reliable object localization
- Tune and modify the open source PCL and OpenCV library for object recognizing and localizing
- Explore possible options to easy user workflow for using our robot guidance system
- To be discussed with the researchers
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- 3D computer vision and geometry knowledge
- Experience with computer vision libraries, e.g. OpenCV, PCL
- Strong C++ coding skills, python is a plus
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please