Facing Dragons Quest Gamified App for Youth to Young Adults - BC-387
Preferred Disciplines: Computer science, Psychology, Education (Master, PhD, Post-Doc)
Project length: 4-6 months (1 unit)
Approx. start date: As soon as possible
Location: Vancouver, BC
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: We are open to an intern beyond the borders of BC, across Canada
Company: Facing Dragons
Our mission is to support youth to make empowering choices and build an empowering identity and outlook on life.
Summary of Project:
We plan to build a gamified, immersive experience online to support young people to make an empowering passage from youth to young adulthood.
In order to successfully bring this game/app to the marketplace, we need to do research to identify our target audience/market and how to best reach/engage them. The more specific we can be with identifying who we are building the experience for, the better engagement strategy and user experience we can provide.
Some examples of what our game will help youth with are as follows:
- How to improve/boost self-confidence and self-esteem
- How to understand why we make disempowering choices and how to use that understanding to make more empowering choices
- How to get the job they dream of
- How to get into the post-secondary school of their choice
- How to make important decisions
- How to set and complete personal and professional goals
- How to make friends, deepen friendships and build a personal support network, while also eliminating negative influences and relationships
- How to start a business and begin their entrepreneurial journey
- How to find one’s life purpose
- How to awaken one’s own leadership capacity and identity as a leader
- How to help others by training participants on the basics of coaching leadership
- What to do after high school, college or university
Background and required skills
One of the biggest hurdles we face by incorporating personal development and life skills training into a gaming experience is coming across as too contrived. We need research to identify ways we can build these learning aspects seamlessly into the gaming experience in order to engage and empower users on a mass scale - so young people are excited to share with their friends.
We need research to identify where the attention of our target audience is and where they are seeking out the guidance, education and solutions we are offering so we can reach and engage them effectively.
We need research to help us identify a system to measure and forecast successful engagement in the beginning stages of launching our game/app.
We need research to help us identify how to measure participant success once they are using the app. We are aiming to emphasize collaboration vs. competition to support participants to build alliances, friendships and a supportive social network through collaboration.
We need research to identify what new technologies we can incorporate into the design of our game, so we are on the cutting edge of user functionality and not building on technology that will be outdated in the near future.
The research above will also help us identify the best platform, architecture, visuals and audio to engage youth to join and complete their quest.
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Cutting-edge Game Design & Mechanics
- Knowledge & experience in today’s world of gaming
- Psychology of gaming & how to engage participants
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please