GBM Big Data Program - INT-006
Preferred Disciplines: Mathematics, Statististics, Maching Learning, Quantitative Finance or related area; MSc, PhD, PDF
Project length: 16-24 months (4 units)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: London, UK and/or New York City, NY, USA and/or Toronto, ON
No. of Positions: 2
Preferences: Language: English
HSBC – World’s Best Bank 2017 (Euromoney)
Global Banking and Markets (GBM) is the Investment Bank arm of HSBC and is undergoing a major transformatoin to set itself up for the future. As part of this transformation, under the Chief Operating Officer’s sponsorship, the Big Data Program has come to life.
Globalising our data from our business lines; Global Banking, Global Markets, HSBC Securities Services, Global Liquidity & Cash Management, is imperative to identifying new commercial, operational risk/regulatory opportunities.
HSBC has access to over 90% of the world’s trade and capital flows, giving it a truly unique data footprint. That combined with 47 jurisdictions and over 25,000 employees means an unrivalled number of use cases for development.
- The GBM Chief Data Office was formed in 2013 headed up by the GBM Chief Data Officer and with regional heads for Europe, Americas and APAC
- The Department is split by Data Governance, Data Quality and Data Security and Business Insight and Analytics)
- The GBM Big Data Program was identified as a key investment initiative for GBM. In 2016 & H1 2017, a significant level of effort was spent building a foundational core platform and re-usable data asset. To capitalize on this investment, the immediate focus for H2 2017 and beyond is to create business focused unit which will rapidly execute actionable business insights using the right cutting edge tools and technologies
- The sole mission of our utility is to transform data into an enterprise asset to solve complex economic and global business problems using cutting edge technologies; helping to rapidly implement insights that will drive more informed decision making. We will deploy scalable distributed algorithms to process complex, large and a wide array of datasets impossible for people to mine, and ultimately achieve more than we ever thought possible
- The Data Scientist role will be a core function to ensure effective implementation of the GBM Big Data Strategy
Background and required skills
- Create new business insight and actionable intelligence on a vast array of use cases, ranging from; economic products (GDP predictors, synthetic credit indices), through to risk and regulatory remediating early warning data indicators
- Implementation of a risk based approach in the provision of advice and guidance
- Adherence to project & program life-cycles with appropriate quality gates that enforce best data practice
- To be discussed by the company and applicants
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Deep understanding of the theoretical grounds of machine learning and of the corresponding mathematical framework. Strong statistical knowledge is an asset for this position
- Good programming skills (Python, R, Matlab, C++), with exposure to Data Science/Visualisation packages such as SciKit Learn, Keras/Tensorflow, Plotly
- Preferably an understanding of distributed compute environments eg Hive, Hadoop, SparkMLLib, H2O
- Good understanding of global markets, markets macrostructure and macro economics
- Exposure to formal Data Science process lifecycles and methodologies (e.g. CRISP-DM, KDD, TDSP
- Critical mind and ability to challenge, intuition of implicit assumptions in mathematical developments
- Good communication skills (written and spoken), ability to engage with different stakeholders and to synthesize
- Ability to conduct several related projects simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
- Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
- Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying directly to Jillian Hatnean, jhatnean(a)mitacs.ca or Sherry Zhao, szhao(a)mitacs.ca.