Haptic API/SDK for Design and Integration of Wearable Haptic Effects for Distributed Full Body Haptics - QC-212
Preferred Disciplines: Mechanical engineering, Computer science (Master, PhD, Post-Doc)
Project length: 4-6 months
Approx. start date: As soon as possible
Location: Montreal, QC
No. of Positions: 1
At Phenomena we create immersive experiences and hardware haptic devices we call VPX. The VPX adds a layer of immersion which connects you more deeply in the virtual world. Built to be robust, our haptic devices allow for the creation of computer-controlled vibrations and lights to be coupled with the immersive content. They have a powerful ability to bring out a sense of touch into the virtual world leaving audiences blown away. VPX is the next frontier in VR and XR technology.
Summary of Project:
The research seeks to develop tools for the design and integration of expressive haptic effects for a distributed series of worn haptic actuators, with an emphasis on creativity support.
- Development of exploratory tools for composing haptics effects based in concepts such as sketching, snapshots and generative models;
- Integration and mapping of diverse input data and sensor devices in order to create responsive, dynamic haptic effects based on multi-modal sensing and data analysis;
- Develop materials to support designers and users to learn about composing with distributed haptics effects; and;
- Optimize the performance and stability of the previously developed SDK which will be the basis for the creative tools developed.
- To be discussed
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Strong understanding of Unity Game Engine is a must.
- Interest in wearables and haptics
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please