Hashtag Generation for Instagram and Twitter - BC-414
Preferred Disciplines: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics (Masters, PhD or Post-Doc)
Project length: 4-12 months (1-2 units)
Approx. start date: January 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: Prefer Vancouver-based candidates
BroadbandTV Corp (BBTV), a digital entertainment company which exists to empower creators and inspire audiences. Today, BBTV generates over 33 billion monthly impressions and is the 3rd largest video property in the world in terms of unique viewers, following only Google and Facebook
Summary of Project:
In this research project, we want to propose methods based on digital signal processing, machine learning and deep learning to automatically suggest proper hashtags for Instagram and Twitter posts.
The main idea of the research includes:
- Generate highly informative and relevant hashtags regarding a post, which may include, but is not limited to photos (eg Instagram) and text (eg Twitter) .
- Train a model that leverages machine learning or deep learning techniques to predict the most useful hashtags.
- Design an evaluation mechanism to analyze the accuracy and efficiency of the proposed solution.
- To be determined upon discussion with the professor and intern
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Working knowledge of machine learning algorithm such as classification, and prediction
- Know how to build deep learning models like RNN, CNN, DNN and other neural network models
- Know how to design an experiment for testing the performance of a machine learning algorithm
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with one of the data science platform such as Tensorflow, Theano or Pytorch
- Good knowledge of numpy, pandas, sklearn, scipy, seaborn.
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- A pragmatic and solution-oriented mindset is absolutely necessary
- Good attention to details
- Critical Thinking
- One of the following data analysis tools: Excel, SAS, R, etc
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please