Laboratory evaluation and database development of capabilities of optical systems and sub-systems to meet requirements for effective utilization in space satellite applications - ON-227
Preferred Disciplines: College, Undergrad or Master’s students in engineering, software, electronics or physics
Company: Honeywell Aerospace
Project Length: 8-12 months
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Ottawa, ON
No. of Positions: 2
About the Company:
A part of Honeywell Aerospace, the Honeywell Space Greenhouse is an incubator headquartered in Ottawa for new space technologies and products. We are currently focused on developing optical intersatellite link terminals for the emerging satellite internet constellation market.
The intern(s) would collaborate with Honeywell staff to characterize instruments designed for space applications by designing and performing lab work, optical tests and analysis. Part of the work includes supporting the design and maintenance of a requirements database. This would entail developing an alpha numeric identification system to be used as a tool for performing data-analytics research based upon systems, sub systems, LRU, and component-level hierarchies. Under the direction of a senior systems engineer, requirements will be budgeted and traced from top level down to various subsystems to identify impact on overall performance. The intern(s) will also be responsible for characterization of various optical subsystems currently being developed to perform in the environments encountered in space satellite applications. These systems may include detectors, custom telescopes and cameras, fine steering mechanisms, coarse pointing mechanisms, and laser transponders. Finally the intern(s) would be required to employ a range of data extraction methods to support the achievement of overall product goals, including marketing strategies. This would provide exposure to Sales Force tools and algorithms which can be used to extract trends, cost, demographics, and forecasting across various geo-political environments.
- Determine the feasiblity of the use of various technologies in space-based satellite optical systems from both a technical perspective as well as a cost perspective. This will require the characterization and qualification of a range of specialized parts and subsystems for use in space satellite environments, e.g.ionizing radiation, atomic oxygen, UV, thermal, vibration, and vacuum.
- Collaborate with Honeywell experts to refine and develop a requirements database that provides traceability of top level requirements, flow-down, budget implications, etc to support effective overall system performance
- Under direction of senior engineering personnel, determine and document the breakdown and budgeting from top level requirements of overall system through lower level sub-systems and assemblies. Ensuring traceability between lower level requirements and upper level may involve derivation of functional relationships between critical parameters, requires that the requirements database be constantly updated to reflect changes in any factors, including when new cost drivers are ascertained, in order to achieve objective of maintaining required performance at minimal cost.
- Apply a variety of laboratory experimental and other techniques to support the characterization of various electro-optical and opto-mechanical subsystems including detectors, custom telescopes and cameras, fine steering mechanisms, coarse pointing mechanisms, and laser transponders under potential space satellite environments
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Familiary with database tools and/or requirements management.
- Understanding of basic optics theory
- Understanding of electronic systems
- Familiarity with electro-static discharge protection protocols
- Familiarity with laser safety protocols
- Knowledge of experiment design
- Programming lab computers for automated tasks
- Data processing and error analysis
Honeywell Aerospace complies with the requirements of the Controlled Goods Program and, prior to project commencement, will complete a security assessment of any intern selected for this project.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please