Power Logger - QC-198
Preferred Disciplines: Electrical Engineering + possibly Software/Computer Engineering (Masters or undergraduate)
Project length: 4 or 8 months (1-2 units)
Approx. start date: As soon as possible
Location: Montreal, QC
No. of Positions: 1-2
Company: CAE Inc – Hardware Engineering
CAE is a global leader in training for the civil aviation, defence and security, and healthcare markets. Backed by a 70-year record of industry firsts, we continue to help define global training standards with our innovative virtual-to-live training solutions to make flying safer, maintain defence force readiness and enhance patient safety.
Summary of Project:
Power characteristics of CAE equipment are regularly requested by the customers (some customers are penalized by their service providers for poor power factor, etc.), but there are presently no quick and safe means of logging power at the main power distribution cabinet (P1 Cabinet) and the motion control cabinet (EMM). The goal of the power logger to be designed and prototyped is to capture hours/days of data for quick upload to laptop for analysis.
- Conceptualize a design that incorporates an inexpensive power logger that can be attached to pre-determined points on the P1/EMM for a quick and safe set-up.
- Document all aspects of the design
- Establish design requirements
- Perform some data collection
- Conceptualize design
- Design & prototype & test
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Knowledge in power systems, power characteristics, electrical design
- Knowledge of data acquisition tools and methods
- Development of architectural systems and processes
- Good communication skills, a good work ethic and team spirit
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please