Quantum Information / Machine Learning / Operations Research interns - BC-411
Preferred Disciplines: Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Quantum Computing, Machine Learning, Statistics (Masters, PhD, Post Doc)
Project length: 4-12 months (1-2 units)
Approx. start date: As soon as possible
Location: Vancouver, BC
No. of Positions: 1+
Company: 1QB Information Technologies
1QBit is dedicated to solving the world’s most intractable challenges by recasting problems to harness the power of quantum computing. We identify intractable industry problems and apply breakthroughs in computation to machine intelligence and optimization science to build software that allows applications to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware.
We believe that quantum technologies will form the next pillar of computational progress. We research, benchmark and build software development kits, online platforms, and applications that make the power of quantum computers accessible to researchers, developers and industry-leading organizations so they can solve their most difficult problems in fields such as optimization, simulation, and machine learning.
As an interdisciplinary team of world-class mathematicians, physicists, operations research scientists, computer scientists, software developers, computational chemists, and quantum computing experts, we share a curiosity and drive to uncover new ways of solving currently intractable problems using advanced classical and quantum systems.
Summary of Project:
Several positions are currently available.
1. Operation Research Scientist
As a member of our Optimization team, your mission is to develop algorithms and tools for solving hard real-world optimization problems. In collaboration with other researchers and software developers, you utilize your background in combinatorial optimization, algorithms, operations research, and probability to develop new algorithms for solving computationally difficult problems. This role presents the opportunity to design and implement new optimization algorithms by bridging the gap between techniques developed in the optimization and physics communities.
2. Machine Learning Scientist
As a member of our Applied Mathematics Team, you will work in collaboration with other researchers and software developers across multiple disciplines, utilizing your background in reinforcement learning to address a wide range of the world’s most challenging computational problems. You will have the opportunity to work with computer scientists, mathematicians, quantum information scientists, and physicists experimenting with the world’s most advanced quantum and high performance computing hardware to develop novel quantum algorithms for revolutionary artificial intelligence applications. You will use your creativity to tackle the bottlenecks of artificial intelligence. You will use your experience in scientific research for experimental implementations, rapid prototyping, and deployment of powerful computational solutions. Towards this end, you will leverage the scale of 1QBit’s proprietary data and software infrastructure in conjunction with commercial tools and exotic hardware prototypes.
3. Quantum Information Scientist
As a member of our Applied Mathematics team, you will work in collaboration with other researchers and software developers and will utilize your background in quantum algorithms, computational complexity or quantum information science, and your experience in rapid prototyping and resource estimation to invent and analyze quantum algorithms. You will leverage the scale of 1QBit’s proprietary data, and software infrastructure in conjunction with commercial tools and exotic quantum hardware prototypes. This role could be a full time or a fixed term opportunity.
To be determined with the researcher
BD To be determined with the researcher
Expertise and Skills Needed:
Quantum physics / computing projects
- Knowledge of software and algorithm design, and hands-on experience in scientific numerical simulation
- An interest in applying domain-specific knowledge to further the progress of quantum computing
- Solid understanding of circuit-model quantum algorithms and the common techniques therein (e.g. quantum phase estimation, quantum amplitude amplification, quantum Fourier transformation, etc.)
- Familiarity with:
- Quantum error correction and fault-tolerant quantum computation
- Resource estimation and error analysis in quantum algorithms
- Computational complexity, design and asymptotic analysis of algorithms
- Familiarity with data science and machine learning algorithms and tools (deep learning, RBMs, probabilistic graphical models) is a plus
Machine Learning projects
- Knowledge of software and algorithm design, data structures, complexity analysis, high-performance computing, and GPGPU programming
- A solid understanding of, and previous experience in, deep learning and reinforcement learning
- Relevant experience with languages and frameworks typically used in machine learning
- Exposure to big data processing, deep learning, and database management
- Familiarity with quantum computing, optimization algorithms, and statistical methods
- Familiarity with debugging and profiling tools
Operations research project
- Strong familiarity with theories of optimization techniques such as linear programming, integer programming, dynamic programming, and heuristic techniques to utilize in developing new solution techniques
- Applied knowledge of algorithm design, data structures, and complexity analysis
- Previous experience with optimization software (e.g., Gurobi, CPLEX)
- Previous experience with data processing and computational benchmarking
- Proficiency in Python and/or C/C++ and/or Java
- Strong graduate level track record of research as demonstrated by your peer reviewed publications and presentations
- The ability to conduct research in an interdisciplinary environment, both independently and as part of a team
- A high level of comfort providing feedback to team members, and soliciting and acting on feedback to improve your performance
- Proactiveness in seeking out opportunities to help move projects forward and contribute to their improvement
- An eagerness to learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our projects in terms of opportunities and challenges
- A dedication to maintaining team unity and success through open communication
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage tasks and meet deadlines
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please