Researching a system for programmatically understanding the geospatial features of urban markets - AB-044
Preferred Disciplines: GIS, Geomatics, Computer Science, Data Science (Masters, PhD or Post-Doc)
Project length: 4-6 months (1 unit)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Calgary, AB
No. of Positions: 1
Company: KnoGeo Technologies Inc.
KnoGeo Technologies Inc. is a Proptech company that specializes in visualizing real estate data in 3D. The company leverages patented methods for dynamically linking data to 3D GIS objects to build applications for analyzing, presenting, and marketing real estate information across both commercial and residential markets.
Our goal is to research how to programmatically discern urban market information en masse with little to no manual intervention – building heights, footprints, urbanscape, etc. If existing datasets and sources of geospatial information be used to create an understanding of individual properties and their context within a city, it would have immense impact on the real estate market. The research will entail a deep dive into what technology or dataset may be used to solve this problem, and investigating programmatic methods that could be used to generate this geospatial understanding.
- Catalogue and determine if data sets exist that can be utilized to create an automated approach to providing a geospatial understanding of dense urban markets.
- Determine what attributes and features within any existing data sets are key to developing this understanding.
- Can a process be developed utilizing existing information, or information that can be readily gathered, to provide a detailed understanding of 3D urban landscapes.
- Assess the ability for advanced machine learning techniques to assist in developing aproaches to understand urban markets – for example, using image recognition/analysis to count windows to estimate floor #.
- Deep dive into current approaches to solve this issue – Are there exisiting methodologies that can be uitlized, either in whole or in part, to support the way we understand buildings and markets. Is research underway that may assist in solving this issue at a future date, and if so how can we contribute and utilize this research?
- Review and/or determine what data sets may be available to create a geospatial understanding of property in dense markets and identify processes that can be utilized to extract meaningful geospatial data from said data sets.
- From the above understanding outline any technologies that will become vital to generating urban understanding on a mass scale.
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- GIS Expertise, ML/AI, image recognition, data analysis / mining
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please