Use of Interactive Fitness and Exergames through the development of a data visualization and predictive analytics system for digital learning solutions - AB-042
Preferred Disciplines: Computer science, Software engineering (Masters or PhD)
Project length: 4-6 months (1 unit)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Calgary, AB
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: Internship under the supervision of Dr. Larry Katz at the University of Calgary
Company: Fresh Angels
Fresh Angles Inc. is a Calgary-based company that consults with small businesses in Calgary to help them commercialize their early stage products. Currently Fresh Angles is working with a company focusing on commercializing technology-based, interactive sport/fitness, health and educational training/learning systems. Fresh Angles Inc. is assisting its client in taking its flagship product to the market. The product is a tablet-based application that capitalizes on peer-to-peer assessment to teach physical skills.
Dr. Larry Katz and Fresh Angles Inc. are seeking a Computer Science graduate student to participate in a data visualization project for a tablet based application, Move Improve. Move Improve is an application that provides an opportunity to learn through giving and receiving feedback from peers. Using video performance technology, combined with embedded curriculum, Move Improve breaks physical skills into easily comprehended components, allowing for learning through teaching and simple evaluation tools for teachers.
Working under Dr. Katz, the fellow will be responsible for the mining and reporting of key data sets and predictive analytics produced through the use of the Move Improve application.
- Analyze available source systems and design appropriate data extracts to pull data and information from the system to create performance measures and indicators.
- Design visual and numerical summaries of the data
- Design, produce, and maintain regular reporting and analytics products.
- Build standard queries to access the data, generate report cards, and see timelines and trends in the data from both a group and individual perspective.
- Build a library of measure and concept definitions to enhance capacity for delivering responsive, meaningful analysis using the application.
- Extract descriptive statistics and advanced inferential and predictive statistics using a large data set.
- Address the gap between the data we have with the information required
- To be determined
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Competent in querying languages (SQL)
- Experience with Data Visualization using JavaScipts, CSS and HTML5
- Demonstrated experience in working with large datasets and using Excel
- Experience in multivariate analysis, predictive analytics, and modeling solutions..
- Microsoft Azure and MS Windows.
- Experience using data visualization and analysis tools, such as Tableau, or Cognos to create insightful and attractive dashboards and data visualizations to track key business information and enable better, faster decisions is a valuable asset.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please