Mental Health and Performance Optimization for Individuals and Companies- ON-307Desired discipline(s): Engineering - computer / electrical, Engineering, Human physical performance and recreation, Life Sciences, Computer science, Mathematical Sciences, Psychology, Social Sciences & Humanities
Company: DeRose Meditation (Choice Digital 108 Inc.)
Project Length: Longer than 1 year
Preferred start date: As soon as possible.
Language requirement: English
Location(s): Toronto, ON, Canada
No. of positions: 2 to 4
About the company:
Choice Digital 108 is a Canadian Company in charge of Research and Development for Brain and Body Academy LLC, a US-based company (NYC) which offers Mindfulness & Meditation programs for Individuals and Companies through the DeRose Meditation Method.
Brain and Body Academy, doing business as DeRose Meditation, is also part of a worldwide network – named DeRose Method – which has 120 studios in 11 countries, more than 600 certified instructors, and more than 20,000 customers.
The DeRose Method is a methodology created and perfected by professor DeRose during the past 60 years, a way before meditation was mainstream. It consists of the contemporary systematization of techniques and concepts from ancestral India. Some of its techniques are: breathing, body techniques, internal cleansing techniques, relaxation, visualization, focus, and meditation. Some of the mindfulness programs are: stress and wellness, emotional intelligence, intentional life, focus, and optimal performance, intuitive and creative mind.
Brain and Body Academy is experiencing great success in NYC and aims to have new physical locations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, and Toronto. Such expansion through North America will be heavily based on technology research and development to create a digital platform.
In terms of business model, Peloton Interactive Inc., and Soul Cycle, regardless of the cycling aspect of such businesses are the reference for Brain and Body Academy. Internally we kindly use to say that we intend to be the Peloton of Meditation and Mindfulness.
Please describe the project.:
The project’s goal is to create a digital platform that effectively delivers mental health and performance optimization programs to individuals and companies. The platform must measure the initial state of the user, analyze the weak points, collect the user needs, automatically propose a personalized action plan using the DeRose Meditation Method to close the gap, and then follow up the user progress providing feedback. The user needs that we intend to measure and improve are:
- the levels of stress and mental health
- how emotionally intelligent the person is?
- how present the person lives?
- the person work performance
Some of the challenges we need to overcome to develop the project effectively are:
- Which parameters/physiological indicators (quantitative and qualitative) should we effectively measure and combine to identify the progress level of each improvement area? For example, how do we translate emotional intelligence levels into indicators? How do we measure how mindful a person is? How do we measure performance optimization at work? What are the indicators of stress and mental health?
- How can do we effectively collect the data online? What are the most effective strategies to do it accurately and meaningfully by connecting gadgets such as FitBit, Muse, and others?
- How to effectively measure and prove the results that the DeRose Meditation Method Programs bring to its users?
- The digital platform must have “an intelligence” (an effective parametrization and statistical analysis) to fully understand the DeRose Meditation Method, and then propose a personalized program the user must adopt to close the gap between the initial measurement state and their goals.
- How can we prove the effectiveness of the application of our Programs to individuals and companies?
We have in mind some possible auxiliary strategies for the project:
- research the existent partial solutions of the market in a lab to learn from them: Peloton, Mirror, and others.
- investigate the existent personal devices of the market that measures physiological metrics: FitBit, Muse, Garmin, and others.
- Data Scientists, Physiologists and Psychologists to build analytic models, design data modeling processes, create algorithms and predictive models to extract and collect data and then analyze the data.
- System Developers to research, analyze, design, develop, implement, verify, maintain and document the requirements for our Meditation and Mindfulness Platform;
- System Engineers to investigate emerging trends to respond to technical challenges; gather, analyze and define software system specifications based on functional and non-functional requirements.