The Arts Genome Project- BC-502Desired discipline(s): Engineering - computer / electrical, Engineering, Computer science, Mathematical Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics / Actuarial sciences
Company: Arts Vista Inc.
Project Length: Flexible
Preferred start date: 09/01/2020
Language requirement: English
Location(s): Vancouver, BC, Canada; Victoria, BC, Canada; Canada
No. of positions: 1-2
About the company:
Arts Vista is developing and growing a content-ecosystem and destination for entertainment and information related to all things Arts and Culture. It is positioning the Arts as an opportunity to discover new experiences, places, people and cultures helping consumers to better understand the world around them.
When an artist creates a work of Art it has no intrinsic use or value; but when this artwork circulates within the systems of the Arts (art houses, publications, stage and screen productions and so on) it acquires a depth of meaning, a breadth of importance, and an increase in value that is greater perhaps than anything else in this modern world.
Please describe the project.:
Arts Vista works on developing and growing a content-ecosystem and destination for entertainment and information related to all things Arts and Culture.
This multidisciplinary ARTS GENOME project will aim to capture every artist, production, brand, product, local venue and other information resources across the major constituents of the arts and artisanship using traditional filtering methods and machine learning algorithms to organize them and help drive content discovery and delivery.
Search and Discoverability as well as Personalization are becoming very important factors for success of our marketplace facing the problems of tremendous fragmentation and diversity in the arts market.
Machine Learning/ Machine Translation power-based search and ranking will be an integral part at different growth phases of the marketplace.
Dance like Martha Graham? Play guitar like Clapton? Sing like Pavarotti?
Nope? Neither can we.
But we LOVE the Arts.
We are looking for a Researcher/ Engineer who is as well passionate about the Arts and can demonstrate understanding and commitment in the following skill areas:
- Systems Administration and Design
- Database Administration (MySQL)
- AWS Cloud
- Back-end Programming (e.g. PHP Note: existing AV Platform uses Ruby on Rails)
- Managing unstructured and structured data (Company has been collecting data over 5 years
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing and Machine Translation (additional benefit)
MATH & MODELING
- Math and graphical Models
- Algorithms and Simulations
- Data Management (e.g. recoding, de-duplicating, integrating disparate sources, web scraping)
- Science/ Scientific Method (e.g research strategy and design)
DESIGN & COMMUNICATION
- Communication (e.g. sharing results, visualizations)
- Critical Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
- Self-directed work ethic and Leadership
- Judgement and Decision Making