Developing an online portal for Accessibility- BC-559Desired discipline(s): Engineering - computer / electrical, Engineering
Company: Accessible Jobs
Project Length: Flexible
Preferred start date: 12/07/2020
Language requirement: English
Location(s): Vancouver, BC, Canada; Canada
No. of positions: 2
Preferred institutions: British Columbia Institute of Technology, Douglas College, Emily Carr University, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Simon Fraser University, University of British Columbia
About the company:
Accessible Work is a new startup that is building a job listing platform focused on people with disabilities.
We believe that everyone should have an equal chance at finding a job, regardless of disability. We are looking for a talented, self-motivated, and hard-working web developer to help manage and build out this system in Vancouver, BC.
Please describe the project.:
We are looking for a talented, self-motivated, and hard-working web developer to help manage and build out a system for our project in Vancouver, BC.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create a website layout/user interface by using standard Semantic HTML/CSS practices and Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA)
- Integrate data from various back-end services (WordPress or Laravel Spark) and databases
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Candidate must have a strong understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in “Accessible Web Development” (A11Y), including ARIA.
- Mandatory experience with Content Management Systems such as Wordpress, or Laravel Spark.
- Demonstrated experience with management of core modules and the creation of custom modules.
- Demonstrated experience in custom theme development
- Incorporate Search Engine Optimization (SEO) standards in your builds.
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Hands-on experience of relational database systems (MySQL/MariaDB), AWS or Elastic Beanstalk with RDS (MySQL), and third-party REST APIs).
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- Experience in a startup environment (Git and GitHub).
- Experience with using Linux on Servers, command-line interface, SSH.
Nice to Have
Experience implementing and using web analytics tools (Google Analytics) to generate insight that leads to improved website experience.