Using IoT to make construction work in heights safer- BC-629Project type: Research
Desired discipline(s): Engineering - computer / electrical, Engineering, Computer science, Mathematical Sciences
Company: SiteInSight (1252258 B. C. LTD)
Project Length: 6 months to 1 year
Preferred start date: As soon as possible.
Language requirement: English
Location(s): Vancouver, BC, Canada; Toronto, ON, Canada; Montréal, QC, Canada; Canada
No. of positions: 1
Desired education level: CollegeUndergraduate/BachelorMaster'sPhDPostdoctoral fellow
About the company:
1252258 B.C. ltd offers automated real-time monitoring and behaviour regulating of workers by tracking equipment, tools, and machines. The proposed IoT system consists of hardware devices, an IoT cloud platform, and software applications. Hardware devices collect location, and personal parameters on workers, equipment/tools/machines and alert supervisors when required. Hardware devices also send the data to the IoT cloud platform to be stored, paired, and compared. Software applications are developed to define different zoning requirements and visualize workers, equipment, machines, and tools. The application creates alerts based on different zoning requirements. The data can later be leveraged to plan Q.C., production monitoring and allocation of resources.
Describe the project.:
A beacon/RFID/wifi indoor and outdoor positioning/tracking system is proposed to be adopted to identify the location of workers who are working at height at the internal or external side of a construction site. Tailor-made beacons or the mobile phone solution needs to be developed to equip site supervisors/workers to get alerted for risk cases. Alerts will be sent when workers entered a pre-defined potential hazard zone without an authorized working-at-height tag or a designed personal protective equipment. The system should also send alerts for any unsafe actions. Mobile devices or computers can monitor Real-time information. The pre-defined potential hazard zone can be allocated and assigned with different requirements according to the fall protection plan requirement stipulated in the construction regulations in Canada.
The project includes the following tasks:
Recommendation on Core Technology
- The founder is seeking support to define the most suitable core technology in order to connect the hardware to the softwar
- Each tile/tag worn by the workers or equipped by the gears/tools/machines stores the personal information, ability, certificate, trade classification, expiry dates, working radius, working capacity (kg/m2) etc.
Development of the Mobile App
- Development of the mobile apps to use beacon technology to trace the location of workers/gears/tools/machines with tags/tile
- The mobile app/software should be able to import a BIM model or 2D drawing at a single layer for identification of location of different zoning requirements and the workerr. The mobile app has functions to pair the equipment with tag/tile with the workers with tile/tag so that the workers are confirmed to wear the equipment.
- The mobile app should be able to change different criteria to make alerts like expired certificate or over the limit of person to use for equipment/machines
- Develop prototype, testing related to models and safety
- Writing a report If possible perform testing at working at height using this system on construction sites and summarize findings (if getting Government Fund / Grant)
- Assessing opportunities for IP creation
- Strong programming skills, especially on beacon technology and coding in mobile platform (IOS and Android)
- Understanding of IoT networks and data
- Understanding of BIM (Building Information Model); Autodesk Revit and AutoCAD
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Ability to plan and carry out tasks in an independent way.
- Knowledge of latest technology on IPS (Internal Positioning System) and GPS (Global Positioning System)