About the Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
The Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship provides a long-term funding and internship option for master’s and PhD students. Recipients can also access professional development training that helps them ensure project success and gain in-demand career skills.
Interested applicants can apply for the Accelerate Fellowship at any time. All other Accelerate program guidelines apply.
|Project length||18 months||36 months|
|Total research award||$40,000||$80,000|
|Minimum intern stipend||$30,000||$72,000 ($24,000/year)|
Partner organization contribution
The Accelerate Fellowship includes access to recommended professional development training for interns to maximize their learning and project efficacy.
Accelerate Fellowship training activities are centred on two themes:
- Project planning and implementation
- Strengthened communication and relationship building with partner
With each training activity, interns can develop skills, knowledge, and tools in alignment with the training themes. Because these skills are applicable to research projects, all participants will see improved results.
Training is nationally standardized and accessible across Canada through virtual coaching, webinars, online learning, and, in select cities, in-person workshops. Topics include:
Accelerate program orientation (online workshop)
- Participants learn about program expectations, requirements, objectives, and key success tips, gaining the knowledge they need to maximize their research internship experience and meet any challenges
Building project clarity (small-group virtual coaching)
- Participants build project overviews and share with their coaching groups, using results to define and clarify project roles, individual contributions, and expectations in discussions with professors and partner organizations
Managing project timelines (online workshop)
- Participants gain time management skills to create and maintain short- and long-term project timelines
Project management (one- or two-day course in select cities)
- Participants explore project management principles and practices and apply teachings to small group projects
Communicating your research (online workshop)
- Participants learn how to organize data, information, and key points and how to make them memorable
Writing strategic business reports/Writing effective emails (online workshops)
- Participants develop the skills to effectively communicate key research results and recommendations, identify key messages, inform and shape aspects of the project, and strengthen engagement from team members and professors
Networking (online workshop)
- Participants learn tips for actively building their personal and professional networks, identifying individuals in their networks, and using their internships to nurture and build key relationships