Thingery – Social Impact Research - BC-645Genre de projet: Non-recherche
Discipline(s) souhaitée: Finance, Sciences mathématiques, Sciences de l’environnement, Sciences naturelles, Affaires, Sciences sociales et humaines
Entreprise: The Thingery Inc
Durée du projet: 4 to 6 months
Preferred start date: As soon as possible.
Langue exigée: English
Emplacement(s): Vancouver, BC, Canada; Canada
Nombre de postes: 1
Niveau de scolarité désiré: CollègeÉtudes de premier cycle/baccalauréatMaîtriseDoctoratRecherche postdoctorale
Au sujet de l’entreprise:
The Thingery Inc. is the parent organization of neighborhood Thingery branches and is focused on the development of community-owned lending libraries of things (a Thingery). We work with local community members to understand who wants to be involved, what items can be shared, and what locations are available to host a Thingery. We then work closely with the local community group to establish a local branch, get site approval from local municipalities, and get the Thingeries up and running. More information is available on our website at www.thethingery.com
Veuillez décrire le projet.:
To move forward on its 2021 goals and support a 2-year plan, the Thingery is requesting support to facilitate the creation of a new database and sustainability-specific key performance indicators (KPIs).
This project will anchor the next phase of the Thingery’s business development and set the business up for success in the years to come.
The project will include the creation of a functional database that can track large amounts of data and generate reports quickly. The database is a tool and so the KPIs will be developed and tested in tandem so that it can be structured to measure these new environmental, social, and financial indicators with efficiency and precision.
To date, the Thingery has been successful using several financially relevant KPIs such as the lifetime value of a customer, revenue per item and repair costs among others. However, the current process to produce these KPIs is manual and requires a significant amount of staff hours per year. As a result of this administrative burden, the company is challenged to design data-driven marketing efforts using metrics such as, "dollars you saved this month" or "kilograms of waste you diverted from landfill" to support the ongoing growth and engagement of its membership.
Having the right business information at the right time will allow the Thingery to enhance decision-making in real-time. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are the tools that businesses of all sizes use to make these types of decisions. Most business KPIs track performance with the goal of delivering strong financial results over time. In the impact space, KPIs also need to measure aspects of community social wellness, environmental prosperity, inclusivity, and affordability of local economies.
In short, how can the Thingery design thoughtful metrics in 2021 that will help to deliver sustainability impact in the long term? We are not alone in these questions.
Our outreach to other lending libraries in Canada has revealed that while organizations have strong anecdotal evidence that attests to community benefit, they lack the capacity to develop and use business metrics. Their sustainability reporting, like ours, depends on self-reporting. Unfortunately, measures that can pinpoint and support financial resilience, community skills-development, urban affordability, and environmental efforts do not yet exist in the sector.
The Thingery wants to change this, but doing this work well and sharing it with others will require new inputs:
1. Expertise to support KPI development for all three spheres of sustainability: financial, social, and environmental; and
2. Programmers that can structure the database, code reports, and UX designers that can provide mobile-app integration and create useable dashboards for staff.
In the immediate term, this project will contribute to the Thingery’s 2021 approved strategic goals in the following ways:
1. Customer experience
- New reporting will allow us to test and validate our survey findings to support core brand messages.
- Development of new marketing tactics to support robust member acquisition and engagement.
2. Site Launching (expansion into new neighborhood locations):
- Enhanced capacity to track and leverage information is a critical pre-cursor to support sustained growth of new Thingery sites and members.
- New impact metrics that can be used to support our lobby with the city of Vancouver and generate interest in our community bonds.
- Develop, validate and initiate measures for tracking positive social outcomes such enhanced skills-development, social connectivity, and community affordability.
- Develop, validate and initiate measures for tracking positive environmental outcomes such as GHG emission reductions, waste reduction, and resource recovery.
With this support, the Thingery will not only be able to enhance its long-term sustainability. By documenting this database and KPI implementation case study and providing open-source access to the newly developed KPIs and database platform, these learnings will also be able to support the lending library community across Canada.
Expertise ou compétences exigées:
Expertise to support KPI development for all three spheres of sustainability: financial, social, and environmental.