NOTE: All recommendation letters must include letterhead and signature.
From former/current supervisors
Former or current supervisors who are providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- When did you supervise the proposed fellow, and how many other students have you supervised at the same level? [as applicable]
- Please comment on the productivity and accomplishments of the proposed fellow, relative to other researchers you have known and/or supervised at the same career stage.
- Make note of any particular achievements (e.g., publication record, patents, awards and scholarships, high-impact research results, leadership, mentoring, accomplishments in teaching, related industry or entrepreneurial activities) by the proposed fellow that you would like to further comment on.
From partner organizations
A current or potential industrial supervisor who is providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- Please indicate your willingness to fund the applicant for the duration of the fellowship with the dollar amount. If you are unable to support the fellow for the entire two years, please provide an explanation.
- To what extent have you interacted with the fellow and/or the proposed academic supervisor in the past?
- Based on the proposed research project and on the previous interactions you had with the fellow, how do you foresee that the fellow’s work might benefit your company?
- If you are not already collaborating with the fellow, how do you envision your role in an eventual partnership? For example, you may describe the expected level of implication of your enterprise in terms of project design, in-kind contributions and access to facilities;
- The Elevate program provides exclusive professional development curriculum to fellows. Please comment whether you anticipate this training to be beneficial to the success of the fellow and your collaborative research project. If the fellow will have additional training opportunities through your organization, please provide details on these.
- If applicable, please describe the location/site that the applicant will be working at, and how much time you expect the applicant to work directly with your company
- If applicable, please describe the location/site that the fellow will be working at, and how much time you expect the fellow to work directly with your company