Globalink Graduate Fellowship
Since its launch in 2009, Mitacs Globalink has brought top undergraduate students from around the world to Canada for a summer research internship. As a result of the program’s success pairing them with Canadian faculty members, Mitacs is helping these talented students pursue additional educational and research opportunities in Canada through the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
In partnership with many of Mitacs full partner universities, the Globalink Graduate Fellowship provides financial support to former Globalink students who wish to return to Canada for graduate studies. The fellowships vary by university but typically last for two years and include a tuition subsidy, a financial award from the university, and research and/or teaching assistantships, as well as a Mitacs award. Details of the fellowship with each participating university can be found here.
Globalink participants applying to a Canadian Master’s or doctorate program at participating full partner universities are eligible to apply for the Globalink Graduate Fellowship. Globalink participants are eligible for the fellowship at any participating university.
The Globalink Graduate Fellowship offers former Globalink participants returning to Canada many benefits including:
- Recognition as Globalink alumni
- Financial support, including a tuition subsidy
- The opportunity to work with Canada’s research supervisors during your graduate studies
- Additional exposure to the Canadian research & innovation landscape and increased Canadian experience
Mitacs and its academic partners believe that Canada’s capacity for innovation and research excellence is greatly increased by exposing the nation’s academic institutions and research teams to global expertise and perspectives. Among the benefits to Canadian professors that are provided by the Globalink Graduate Fellowship are:
- A competitive advantage in attracting the world’s leading students
- Collaboration with an international student who possesses a strong academic record and established Canadian research experience
- The opportunity to continue working with a former Globalink student on a larger research project
- Promotion of Canada as a top destination for the globe’s brightest minds
To apply for a Globalink Graduate Fellowship, students must:
- Review the list of eligible universities that are offering the Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
- Apply to the participating university/universities of their choice for graduate studies and indicate their eligibility for, and interest in, a Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
- Complete the Globalink Graduate Fellowship application on the Mitacs website as soon as university applications are submitted.
Fellowships are awarded to a limited number of students at the discretion of the university, which will notify fellowship recipients about the status of their award. Mitacs will follow up with additional details. Each university’s Graduate Studies Office can assist faculty members to determine the conditions of the fellowship, and whether the university is willing to offer the student a fellowship.
All funds, including the Mitacs award, are administered by the student’s university. Note that the fellowships offered to a student who does not accept an offer of admission can be allocated to another student who has participated in the Globalink program.
This information is current as of May 2013 and may be subject to change.
Latest globalink News
"The Mitacs Globalink program has been an enriching experience for me - and not just academically. The program has given me the opportunity to work with top class faculty and research groups. It has made me aware of the cutting-edge research that happens in Canada, and to the infrastructure that has been built to support this. But these three months have also exposed me to Canadian culture and values - be it your love for the outdoors or your hospitality towards immigrants. It has enabled us to see the challenges faced by Canada - and the opportunities that lie therein. It has been an eye-opening experience for me - one that I would love to repeat - and I sincerely thank Mitacs for organizing, and organizing so well, such an amazing program."