Since its launch in 2009, Mitacs Globalink has attracted top undergraduate students from around the world to Canada for a summer research internship. As a result of the program’s success pairing them with Canadian faculty members, Mitacs is helping these talented students pursue additional educational and research opportunities in Canada through the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
The Globalink Graduate Fellowship provides $15,000 in financial support to former Globalink research interns who return to Canada for research-based graduate studies at eligible Mitacs academic partners. Globalink participants applying to a Canadian master’s or PhD program at any eligible university can apply for the fellowship, regardless of where they completed their Globalink Research Internship.
Upon Mitacs' receipt of proof of acceptance and enrollment, Mitacs will confirm the fellowship award and forward funds directly to the student. Half of the award is forwarded to the student and the balance is forwarded in the second consecutive term.
*Please note that this information applies to Globalink research interns from 2013 and beyond. If you were a Globalink research intern prior to 2013, please contact glfellowship(at)mitacs.ca to discuss your fellowship eligibility.
Benefits to students
The Globalink Graduate Fellowship offers former Globalink research interns:
- Direct financial support from Mitacs
- Recognition as Globalink alumni
- The opportunity to work with Canada’s research supervisors during your graduate studies
- Additional exposure to the Canadian research and innovation landscape and increased Canadian experience
Benefits to faculty
The Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship provides a competitive advantage for faculty wishing to recruit talented Globalink alumni for graduate studies in Canada. The fellowship may supplement previously secured funding and is forwarded directly to students, reducing administrative burden for faculty and university administration. Building on the linkages established during students’ time as Globalink research interns, the fellowship helps faculty members:
- Collaborate with an international student who possesses a strong academic record and established Canadian research experience
- Continue working with a former Globalink Research Intern on a larger research project
- Promote Canada as a top destination for the globe’s brightest minds
Faculty members should consult the Graduate Studies Office at their institution regarding what, if any, financial support they are required to provide and for advice on the graduate admission process.
All parties involved with the Mitacs Globalink program must comply with the Canadian host university’s policies regarding the ethical conduct of research and scholarly activities, as per Mitacs’ Policy on Research Integrity. Any issues or disputes around research or academic misconduct will be subject to the host university’s processes following their institutional policies.
To apply for a Globalink Graduate Fellowship, students must:
- Review the list of Mitacs academic partners whose students are eligible for the Globalink Graduate Fellowship
- Apply to the participating university(ies) of their choice and indicate their eligibility for and interest in a Globalink Graduate Fellowship
- Complete the Globalink Graduate Fellowship application as soon as all university applications are submitted
- Each applicant is responsible for providing a copy of their university acceptance letter(s) to Mitacs at email@example.com. If you fail to do so, your fellowship application will not be considered.
Fellowship applications are accepted any time. Effective January 1, 2018, applicants have 36 months from the end of their internships to start their graduate studies in Canada.
|If you came to Canada in:||You must start graduate studies by:|
Fellowships are awarded at Mitacs’ discretion, and we will notify fellowship recipients individually about the status of their application.
For more information, please review the Frequently Asked Questions or contact Mitacs Globalink at glfellowship(at)mitacs.ca.
Who is eligible for a Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship?
- Any Globalink research intern from 2013 and onward who is applying for a research-based master’s or PhD program is eligible for the fellowship and has not previously been awarded a Globalink Graduate Fellowship
- Effective January 1, 2018, recipients must provide proof of acceptance to a university and begin their graduate studies within 36 months of the September 30 end date of their cohort
|If you came to Canada in:||You must start graduate studies by:|
- Students must be enrolled and be in good standing in a research-based master’s or PhD program throughout their fellowship tenure
- Most course-based programs, some professional programs, and MBA programs are not eligible. Mitacs can only determine program eligibility upon receipt and review of your university acceptance letter
What is the value of the fellowship?
- The fellowship is a $15,000 one-time award for the student
- Fellowships can be combined with other forms of graduate funding, such as Tri-Council funding, university support, and support from foreign sources. Some universities may limit the total graduate funding awarded to a student.
How can I get a fellowship?
- Apply to one or more Mitacs academic partners for acceptance to graduate studies in a research-based master’s or PhD program.
- After you have applied to universities, submit your fellowship application. Mitacs will then confirm receipt of your application.
When will I know that I have been awarded one?
- A university must offer you admission to a graduate study program
- You must accept the university’s offer and provide proof of that acceptance to Mitacs, including a copy of the university acceptance letter
- Upon receipt of this documentation, Mitacs reviews your application and confirms your fellowship offer
When will I receive it?
- You will receive your first $7,500 installment upon Mitacs’ receipt of your proof of enrollment in your first semester, and the second $7,500 installment upon Mitacs’ receipt of your proof of enrollment in your second consecutive term.
How long does it last?
- The fellowship is available for one year.
How does the university decide who is offered a fellowship?
- Fellowships are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis and are just one funding option available to former Globalink research interns. Your supervisor can help you understand the other funding options available to you through your university.
Mitacs is pleased to offer the Globalink Graduate Fellowship to former Globalink Research Interns attending the following universities, with no university contribution required:
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- University of Lethbridge
- Simon Fraser University
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Victoria
- University of Manitoba
- University of Winnipeg
- Université de Moncton
- University of New Brunswick
- Dalhousie University
- Carleton University
- Lakehead University
- McMaster University
- OCAD University
- Queen's University
- Ryerson University
- Trent University
- University of Guelph
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
- University of Windsor
- Western University
- Wilfred Laurier University
- York University
- Concordia University
- École de technologie supérieure
- École Polytechnique de Montréal
- Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS)
- McGill University
- Université de Montréal
- Université de Sherbrooke
- Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Université Laval
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Regina