The Globalink Graduate Fellowship provides $15,000 in financial support to former Globalink Research Interns who return to Canada for full master’s or PhD programs, or Postdoctoral fellowships at any Mitacs partner institution. Globalink alumni may apply for the fellowship at a different university than their Globalink Research Internship host institution.
Since its launch in 2009, Mitacs Globalink has attracted top undergraduate students from around the world to Canada for a summer research internship. As a result of the program’s success pairing them with Canadian faculty members, Mitacs is helping these talented students pursue additional educational and research opportunities in Canada through the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
Upon Mitacs's receipt of proof of acceptance and enrollment, Mitacs will confirm the fellowship award and forward funds directly to the student. Half of the award is forwarded to the student and the balance is forwarded in the second consecutive term.
Benefits to students
The Globalink Graduate Fellowship offers former Globalink research interns:
- Direct financial support from Mitacs
- Recognition as Globalink alumni
- The opportunity to work with Canada’s research supervisors during your graduate studies
- Additional exposure to the Canadian research and innovation landscape and increased Canadian experience
Benefits to faculty
The Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship provides a competitive advantage for faculty wishing to recruit talented Globalink alumni for graduate studies in Canada. The fellowship may supplement previously secured funding and is forwarded directly to students, reducing administrative burden for faculty and university administration. Building on the linkages established during students’ time as Globalink research interns, the fellowship helps faculty members:
- Collaborate with an international student who possesses a strong academic record and established Canadian research experience
- Continue working with a former Globalink Research Intern on a larger research project
- Promote Canada as a top destination for the globe’s brightest minds
Faculty members should consult the Graduate Studies Office at their institution regarding what, if any, financial support they are required to provide and for advice on the graduate admission process.
All parties involved with the Mitacs Globalink program must comply with the Canadian host university’s policies regarding the ethical conduct of research and scholarly activities, as per Mitacs’s Policy on Research Integrity. Any issues or disputes around research or academic misconduct will be subject to the host university’s processes following their institutional policies.
The Globalink Graduate Fellowship has been popular this year. Unfortunately, we have reached our funding capacity for eligible GRI applicants. As such, we will not be accepting any new applications for the time being. More information on this Mitacs initiative will follow in the fall.
Thank you for your interest in the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
Who is eligible for a Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship?
- Any Globalink Research Intern who has successfully completed their internship and who has not previously been awarded a Globalink Graduate Fellowship. Note that selected candidates from 2020 cancelled cohort are not eligible.
Which programs are eligible?
- Only full master’s, PhD and postdoctoral fellowship programs are eligible. Graduate certificates, diplomas or other similar programs are not eligible.
When is the deadline to apply?
There is no specific deadline to apply for the fellowship. Effective June 10, 2021, applicants have 5 years to start their graduate studies/Postdoctoral fellowship in Canada from the end of their Globalink Research Internship.
|If you came to Canada in:||You must start graduate studies by:|
What are the steps to apply for the fellowship?
- Review the list of Mitacs academic partners whose students are eligible for the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
- Apply to and receive formal acceptance at one of the participating universities.
- Complete the Globalink Graduate Fellowship application.
Fellowships are awarded at Mitacs’s discretion. We will notify fellowship recipients individually regarding their application status.
Please visit our FAQ section for more information.
What is the value of the fellowship?
- The fellowship is a $15,000 one-time award for the student.
- Fellowships can be combined with other forms of graduate funding, such as Tri-Agency funding, university support, and support from foreign sources. Some universities may limit the total graduate funding awarded to a student.
When will I know that I have been awarded one?
- A university must offer you admission to an eligible graduate study program or a postdoctoral fellowship.
- You must accept the university’s offer and provide proof of that acceptance to Mitacs, including a copy of the university acceptance letter.
- Upon receipt of this documentation, Mitacs reviews your application and confirms your fellowship offer.
When will I receive it?
- You will receive your first $7,500 installment upon Mitacs’s receipt of your proof of enrollment in your first semester, and the second $7,500 installment upon Mitacs’s receipt of your proof of enrollment in your second consecutive term.
How long does it last?
- The fellowship is available for one year.
How does the university decide who is offered a fellowship?
- Fellowships are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis and are just one funding option available to former Globalink research interns. Your supervisor can help you understand the other funding options available to you through your university.
What are the enrollment guidelines if my application is successful?
Students must be enrolled and be in good standing in a full master's or PhD program throughout their Globalink Graduate Fellowship tenure. Postdoctoral fellows must also adhere to these guidelines.
Do you have any additional questions?
- Please contact us at: email@example.com