About the program
Mitacs Elevate is a two-year training program for postdoctoral fellows, in which participants lead and undertake an industrially relevant research project. During this time, fellows receive experiential training in R&D directly through their industry-academic research collaboration and leadership training and business acumen through the program’s training curriculum. With a suite of skills development workshops and activities unique to Mitacs Elevate, fellows learn about communication, leadership & management and other critical business skills relevant to R&D management careers in academia and industry. These training opportunities complement fellows’ specialized expertise and ensure they are ready to lead large-scale research projects throughout their careers.
During the fellowship, fellows apply these skills within a real-world industry environment as they work on a two-year research project with their partner organization and university faculty supervisor, typically spending half of the fellowship with each. Depending on the nature of the research, Mitacs may consider applications where fellows spend less than half of their time with the partner organization, with appropriate justification.
In addition to their research project, fellows spend one to two days per month participating in training activities. Throughout this time, fellows have multiple opportunities to connect with fellow PhD graduates in their cohort, as well as industry representatives, potential employers and workshop facilitators.
Benefits of Mitacs Elevate
- Mitacs provides an intensive level of support at every stage of the program, a feature unique to Mitacs Elevate.
- Fellows receive assistance with submissions – including feedback on draft applications – assistance in identifying and approaching suitable potential partner organizations and ongoing skills development tailored to recent PhD graduates.
- Throughout the fellowship, Mitacs maintains frequent contact with fellows to ensure both the research projects and professional development activities are on track.
- Fellows also receive a competitive stipend of at least $50,000 per year.
- The program’s networking and training component provides postdoctoral fellows with ample opportunity to connect with peers in their cohort, as well as industry and non-academic partner representatives, potential employers, and workshop facilitators.
- Elevate fellows indicate that their networking and training experiences through Mitacs Elevate have opened new doors to career opportunities that they may not have otherwise considered.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate is an attractive option for organizations seeking a recognized program to help them develop their research & development management capacity in-house with a minimal impact on their R&D budgets.
- By connecting companies with a talented PhD graduate, the 2-year fellowship encourages knowledge transfer of the fellow’s practical and professional skills to the organization.
- Concurrently, companies benefit from fellows’ creativity and fresh approach to current research challenges.
- Company participation in Mitacs Elevate is affordable and offers companies a low-risk, longer term means to access university-based expertise while evaluating a potential employee.
- Collaborations through Mitacs Elevate also allow companies to access equipment, lab spaces and other university resources that may otherwise be unattainable within existing budgets.
- For every $1 of a partner organization’s $25,000 contribution, Mitacs provides $1.30 in matching funds for a total research grant of $57,500 per year.
- This includes support for fellows and up to $7,500 in research costs for equipment, additional research personnel, conference travel and publishing costs.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are administered by universities rather than companies, so that head counts are not affected and employee benefit contributions are not mandatory for a company’s participation.
- Partner organizations are not required to provide financial statements with the application and companies of all sizes and in all industry sectors are eligible to apply.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate helps faculty at Canadian universities develop key relationships with industry while furthering their research.
- The program also supports existing collaborations and provides competitive funding to encourage long-term research, including competitive support for fellows and up to $7,500 in flexible research costs.
- Applications are peer-reviewed to ensure that projects are academically and industrially relevant and are evaluated in a bi-annual, competitive call for proposals.
- Projects may present opportunities for publication as well as collaboration with the partner organization beyond the two-year period.
- The program provides a source of long-term funding for talented postdoctoral fellows.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are forwarded as a research grant to the faculty supervisor.