About the program
Mitacs Elevate is a two-year training program for postdoctoral fellows, in which participants lead and undertake a research project in collaboration with a partner organization. During this time, fellows receive experiential training in R&D directly through their research collaboration and leadership training and business acumen through the program’s training curriculum. With a suite of skills development retreats and activities unique to Mitacs Elevate, fellows learn about communication, leadership & management and other critical business skills relevant to research management careers in academia and industry. These training opportunities complement fellows’ specialized expertise and ensure they are ready to lead large-scale research projects throughout their careers regardless of their academic disciplines.
During the fellowship, fellows apply these skills within a real-world industry/not-for-profit environment as they work on a two-year research project with their partner organization and university faculty supervisor, typically spending half of the fellowship with each. Depending on the nature of the research, Mitacs may consider applications where fellows spend less than half of their time with the partner organization, with appropriate justification and in exceptional cases.
In addition to their research project, fellows spend one to two days per month participating in training activities. Throughout this time, fellows have multiple opportunities to connect with fellow PhD graduates in their cohort and develop their skills to showcase the value and impact of their research project with their partner organization.
Benefits of Mitacs Elevate
- Mitacs provides an intensive level of support at every stage of the program, a feature unique to Mitacs Elevate.
- Fellows receive assistance with submissions – including feedback on draft applications – and ongoing skills development tailored to recent PhD graduates.
- Throughout the fellowship, Mitacs maintains frequent contact with fellows to ensure both the research projects and professional development activities are on track.
- Fellows receive a stipend/salary of at least $50,000 per year.
- Elevate fellows indicate that their networking and training experiences through Mitacs Elevate have opened new doors to career opportunities that they may not have otherwise considered.
- At the end of the fellowship, fellows receive a Mitacs certificate of completion.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate is an attractive option for organizations seeking a recognized program to help them develop their research & development management capacity in-house with a minimal impact on their R&D budgets.
- By connecting organizations with a talented PhD graduate, the two-year fellowship encourages knowledge transfer of the fellow’s practical and professional skills to the organization.
- Concurrently, companies benefit from fellows’ creativity and fresh approach to current research challenges.
- Organization participation in Mitacs Elevate is affordable and offers organizations a low-risk, longer term means to access university-based expertise while evaluating a potential employee.
- Collaborations through Mitacs Elevate also allow companies/not-for-profits to access equipment, lab spaces and other university resources that may otherwise be unattainable within existing budgets.
- Partner organizations provide $30,000, and Mitacs provides $25,000, for a total research grant of $55,000 per year.
- This includes support for fellows and up to $5,000 in research costs for equipment, additional research personnel, conference travel and publishing costs.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are administered by universities rather than companies, so that head counts are not affected and employee benefit contributions are not mandatory for a company’s participation.
- Partner organizations are not required to provide financial statements with the application and companies of all sizes and in all industry sectors are eligible to apply.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate helps faculty at Canadian universities develop key relationships with industry while furthering their research.
- The program also supports existing collaborations and provides competitive funding to encourage long-term research, including competitive support for fellows and up to $5,000 in flexible research costs.
- Applications are peer-reviewed to ensure that projects are academically and industrially relevant and are evaluated in a bi-annual, competitive call for proposals.
- Projects may present opportunities for publication as well as collaboration with the partner organization beyond the two-year period.
- The program provides a source of long-term funding for talented postdoctoral fellows.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are forwarded as a research grant to the faculty supervisor.