About the program
- Mitacs Elevate is a program that develops skills of postdoctoral fellows in Canada and builds capacity for R&D management in various academic, industrial and non-profit sectors.
- Over the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows develop career-ready skills in areas such as project management, entrepreneurship and presentation skills, while applying both their expertise and professional skill set in the real-world environment of their partner organization through a 2-year research project.
- This engagement with partner organizations also provides Elevate fellows with the opportunity to work on an industrially relevant research challenge and gain valuable research leadership experience.
Benefits of Mitacs Elevate
- Mitacs provides an intensive level of support at every stage of the program, a feature unique to Mitacs Elevate.
- Fellows receive assistance with submissions – including feedback on draft applications – assistance in identifying and approaching suitable potential partner organizations and ongoing skills development tailored to recent PhD graduates.
- Throughout the fellowship, Mitacs maintains frequent contact with fellows to ensure both the research projects and professional development activities are on track.
- Fellows also receive a competitive stipend of at least $50,000 per year.
- The program’s networking and training component provides postdoctoral fellows with ample opportunity to connect with peers in their cohort, as well as industry and non-academic partner representatives, potential employers, and workshop facilitators.
- Elevate fellows indicate that their networking and training experiences through Mitacs Elevate have opened new doors to career opportunities that they may not have otherwise considered.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate is an attractive option for organizations seeking a recognized program to help them develop their research & development management capacity in-house with a minimal impact on their R&D budgets.
- By connecting companies with a talented PhD graduate, the 2-year fellowship encourages knowledge transfer of the fellow’s practical and professional skills to the organization.
- Concurrently, companies benefit from fellows’ creativity and fresh approach to current research challenges.
- Company participation in Mitacs Elevate is affordable and offers companies a low-risk, longer term means to access university-based expertise while evaluating a potential employee.
- Collaborations through Mitacs Elevate also allow companies to access equipment, lab spaces and other university resources that may otherwise be unattainable within existing budgets.
- For every $1 of a partner organization’s $25,000 contribution, Mitacs provides $1.30 in matching funds for a total research grant of $57,500 per year.
- This includes support for fellows and up to $7,500 in research costs for equipment, additional research personnel, conference travel and publishing costs.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are administered by universities rather than companies, so that head counts are not affected and employee benefit contributions are not mandatory for a company’s participation.
- Partner organizations are not required to provide financial statements with the application and companies of all sizes and in all industry sectors are eligible to apply.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate helps faculty at Canadian universities develop key relationships with industry while furthering their research.
- The program also supports existing collaborations and provides competitive funding to encourage long-term research, including competitive support for fellows and up to $7,500 in flexible research costs.
- Applications are peer-reviewed to ensure that projects are academically and industrially relevant and are evaluated in a bi-annual, competitive call for proposals.
- Projects may present opportunities for publication as well as collaboration with the partner organization beyond the two-year period.
- The program provides a source of long-term funding for talented postdoctoral fellows.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are forwarded as a research grant to the faculty supervisor.