To be considered for the travel grant, all applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a for-profit company
- Be an incorporated legal entity in Canada
- Be housed for a minimum of three (3) months and maximum of two (2) years in an eligible university-linked incubator or accelerator (Home Incubator)
- Have planned business travel for full-time employees, founders, or owners with soft-landing at a host incubator in an eligible target market. Applicants must submit their application a minimum of 4 weeks before their planned travel dates
Check with the Mitacs Entrepreneur International team for a list of eligible university-linked incubators and accelerators.
- Return travel for up to two (2) full-time employees, founders, or owners of an eligible company
- Soft-landing at an international host incubator
- Participation in meetings/events with key contacts from target market
Eligible markets include the following countries, regions or jurisdictions:
- European Union
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United States
- United Kingdom
Travel grants support eligible business travel costs, with a maximum grant of $5,000. Up to two (2) full-time employees, founders or owners may claim eligible expenses per travel grant.
In-kind contributions from the Home or Host Incubators cannot be used towards matching Mitacs funds.
- Economy class air or ground transportation fare to new target market
*Applicants are expected to provide reasonable, economy class return air or ground transportation costs that take advance booking into account. If the amount is deemed excessive, the applicant will be expected to amend their budget to advance booking economy fare estimates.
*Applicants are expected to select direct transit routes between the travellers’ home base(s) in Canada and the location of travel without any additional stops/destinations. Layovers or stops are acceptable to secure a more economical price.
- Transportation costs in target market country
*Applicants may claim taxi, car rental, train or internal flights for travel to the host incubator and for meetings with existing or potential international investors, clients, partners, suppliers and/or distributors.
*Applicants are expected to select direct routes between the travellers’ accommodation and the host incubator, and/or to meeting locations.
* Applicants are expected to provide reasonable costs that take advance booking into account. If the amount is deemed excessive, the applicant will be expected to amend their budget to advance booking estimates.
- Per Diem
*Applicants may claim a per diem for meals and incidentals in accordance with the rates set by the National Joint Council for each day of travel.
Successful applicants must maintain proper and accurate accounts and records of the approved travel expenses for a minimum of seven (7) years after the date of completion of the travel period.
See our How to Apply tab for more information on how to apply for a travel grant today.
If you have any questions about the Mitacs Entrepreneur International program, please email the Mitacs Entrepreneur International team.