Mitacs funds may be used to support the direct costs of research as specified in the Tri-Agency’s Financial Administration guidelines.
Additional eligible expenses include:
- In accordance with the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (specifically Chapter 9: Research Involving the First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples of Canada) recognizing the importance of respecting the culture and traditions of Indigenous peoples and acknowledging the necessity to incur expenditures in that regard in the conduct of research, the following expenditures are eligible:
- costs related to community mobilization and engagement, including culturally relevant promotional items such as tobacco, cloth, feasting and gift-giving for honouring ceremonies, and cash reimbursements (in a method acceptable to the individual or community being reimbursed) to compensate community participation;
- honoraria for Indigenous Elders and community experts;
- contracts and/or consultant fees for knowledge translation and communication activities for Indigenous Elders, community members and other Indigenous knowledge-holders involved in activities related to the Indigenous community;
- a salary research allowance to help cover the costs to temporarily replace co-applicants from eligible Indigenous not-for-profit organizations to release them from their duties to the organization.
- In accordance with NSERC guidelines for Research Partnerships Programs Project Management Expenses, project management expenses may be included in the research costs portion of the grant. The maximum level of support for all expenditures related to project management is 10% of the non-stipend research expenses portion of the grant. Please contact your local Business Development Representative for more information.
- Eligible expenses for colleges only, and only for expenses outlined in the research costs portion of the grant:
- Costs associated with faculty releases from teaching duties to enable college faculty to conduct research projects (up to $9,000 per course release, per semester, per faculty)
- Costs associated with paying part-time faculty to participate in the project (up to $9,000 per semester)
- Information regarding the Accelerate Travel Subsidies Program can be found here.