Discover more projects across a range of sectors and discipline — from AI to cleantech to social innovation.
Buildings in Canada consume 29% of the total energy and 58% of the electricity on an annual basis. Through optimal sustainable design, however, there is an opportunity to reduce a building’s energy consumption as high as 80%, and the remaining 20% energy consumption can be produced from renewable sources. Sustainable design requires consideration and integration of climate responsive designs, building forms, and building envelope component details. Building façade plays a crucial role in meeting building energy efficiency and internal thermal comfort demands. The primary energy use in the building is for heating and cooling and it caused primarily due to the heat flow through the façades. Window systems alone are the largest heat flow contributors for buildings. Therefore, improving window systems should take priority over improving the opaque wall thermal resistance with superior thermal performance. Traditionally window configuration design is based on predetermined fixed window-to-wall ratios, while they should be governed by the airflow, thermal variation, daylighting, viewing, and indoor air quality.
Theakston Environmental Inc.
Engineering - civil
Professional, scientific and technical services
Find the perfect opportunity to put your academic skills and knowledge into practice!Find Projects
The strong support from governments across Canada, international partners, universities, colleges, companies, and community organizations has enabled Mitacs to focus on the core idea that talent and partnerships power innovation — and innovation creates a better future.