In water quality management, mathematical models are used to evaluate management alternatives, and to support the policy making process. Environmental models involve substantial uncertainty which can be very critical when striving to identify polluters, to direct the use of taxpayers' dollars, and to determine management strategies that have considerable social and economic implications.
Mozilla is a software development organization known internationally for the open source innovation of technologies such as the Firefox web browser. This Mitacs Elevate postdoctoral fellowship project aims to extend the Mozilla mandate for openness into the realm of digital literacy programs for youth. Mozilla has begun to develop collaborations known as Hive Networks involving libraries, museums and other organizations that involve youth outside of the formal education system.
The causal link between highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFAs) and human health is one of the hottest topics in science. Their potential to control food web dynamics in freshwater systems is a relatively recent development, but analytical difficulties have relegated research to a predominantly theoretical nature. A large deal of theoretical work was produced from my doctoral research, and breakthroughs in measuring metabolic reactions permit the testing of multiple hypotheses produced.
1) Generate and lead initiatives in drug discovery especially in the area of target identification/validation.
2) Generate transgenic zebrafish lines for nuclear receptor diseases related to oncology and metabolic diseases
3) Apply and supervise drug discovery on nuclear receptor ligand trap fish lines in the area of metabolic disease / cancer to extend state of the art research that leads to the discovery of new therapies
Today, mobile devices fail to achieve their full potential of direct input, despite of advancements on touch sensing technology. One of the factors is the inclusion of input latency that results in objects lagging behind the user's finger, instead of kept under the finger, breaking the belief of direct manipulation of virtual objects. Tactual Labs core product is a touch sensor that has very little input latency, supporting sensor response time down to 10ms, well below the current standard of 75-120ms.
• The primary objective of this project is to construct and validate an interactive eye-tracking system that can be deployed at kiosk based automated consumer interfaces. This system will gather real-time idiosyncratic information about attention and current mental state, and use this to target messages to the consumer.
• Secondly, we will use a combination of eye tracking and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) methods to develop eyegaze behavior algorithms that can be used as an index of true preference in consumers
My objectives will be 1) to establish stable zebrafish lines expressing the human nuclear receptors not yet established by Indanio; 2) to de-orphanize at least three human nuclear receptors; 3) to lead initiatives in drug target identification and validation; and 4) to establish protocols for structural and pharmacokinetic analysis of potential drug targets. 1) Establishing the zebrafish lines will be accomplished using the Indanio-designed reporter system and standard molecular biology techniques. 2) The strategy to adopt orphaned nuclear receptors is a multistage project.
Water Innovation Project (administered through the Ministry of the Environment) involving the Canadian Urban Institute and the University’s Cities Centre wherein these metrics were successfully applied to the City of Toronto’s water supply system and had the effect of changing the way these systems are thought about; that is, through the lens of energy flows.
In this project, new storage approaches for big data will be explored. Key point is the efficient use of modern hardware, especially modern storage technology such as SSDs. These new technologies have highly improved performance in comparison to traditional hardware. However, classical data structures and algorithms can not directly be applied due to the different characteristics of these devices. Also, the high cost of the new technology makes their exclusive use uneconomical in many cases.
Building on our previous research and POC test prototype development, our goals for the project are to: 1) to confirm and further validate the association of altered levels of endothelial biomarkers with disease severity and mortality outcomes from LTIs in large patient populations in two settings, and 2) develop a rapid POC triage test for their detection at the bedside.