Vancouver, BC — Five exemplary researchers-turned-entrepreneurs will be honoured at the 2017 Mitacs Entrepreneur Awards and presented with a total of $25K to support their business ($5K per award). The awards recognize researchers whose work starting or building a business demonstrates exemplary leadership and innovation.
A successful applicant will be selected to represent each of the following categories:
- Outstanding entrepreneur: Awarded to an applicant with an outstanding business or business idea that is feasible and sustainable
- Next 150 entrepreneur: Awarded to an applicant whose start-up will positively impact Canada and/or the lives of Canadians for the next 150 years
- Global impact entrepreneur: Awarded to an applicant whose start-up demonstrates the potential to scale their business to international markets or to have a global impact
- Social entrepreneur: Awarded to an applicant whose start-up works to address or solve social, cultural, or environmental issues
- Change agent entrepreneur: Awarded to an applicant whose innovation demonstrates the potential to significantly impact an industry, process, mindset, or cause a culture shift
The competition is open to all Mitacs alumni. Cash prizes will be awarded to help emerging businesses grow.
An awards event, including a panel program, will take place on June 8, 2017, in partnership with MaRS Discovery District in Toronto.
Alejandro Adem, Chief Executive Officer and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“By turning their research innovations and experiences into successful start-ups, our alumni are supporting the growth of the Canadian economy. These awards will recognize how their ingenuity, vision, and perseverance benefits Canadians today, and how they will continue to do so for generations to come.”
Entrepreneur Awards facts:
- Alumni of any Mitacs program are eligible to apply
- $25,000 in cash prizes (five at $5,000 each) to be awarded
- Application deadline is April 17, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- Awards granted on June 8, 2017
- The venue partner is MaRS Discovery District
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 17 years to support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- Mitacs’ research internship programs connect graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with industry and not-for-profit partners for collaborations supervised by faculty.
- Mitacs acknowledges the Government of Canada, along with Alberta Innovates, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Research & Development Corporation of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Prince Edward Island, the Government of Quebec, and the Government of Saskatchewan for their support.
For information and to apply, visit www.mitacs.ca/entrepreneur.
For a recap of our 2015 awards, visit https://www.mitacs.ca/en/newsroom/news-release/mitacs-entrepreneurs-recognized-their-contributions-solar-energy-coastal.
For sponsorship opportunities, contact Lindsay Ringuette at lringuette[at]mitacs.ca