The call for applications is now open. Apply before February 10, 2021.
Step 1: Application deadline
|January 13, 2021,
5 p.m. PT
|(Optional) Deadline to submit draft application for one-time pre-review feedback|
|January 13, 2021,
5 p.m. PT
|(If applicable) Deadline to submit conflict of interest (COI) declaration for postdoctoral fellows|
|February 10, 2021,
5 p.m. PT
|Final deadline to submit a completed application package to be considered for Mitacs Elevate fellowship|
Step 2: Check your application
...if your application has a possible conflict of interest (COI):
- If you are a postdoctoral fellow, please fill out the COI Declaration and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 13, 2021 at 5 p.m. PT
- If you are an academic supervisor, please ensure that you have brought this to the attention of your academic institution. Please include in the final Mitacs Elevate Proposal application the following information:
- Details on academic supervisor’s involvement with non-academic partner organization
- Evidence that the academic supervisor’s academic institution is aware of the conflict
- A description of the academic institution’s mitigation measures
- If you are uncertain, please consult the Mitacs Conflict of Interest Policy or contact us at email@example.com
…if your potential partner organization is a not-for-profit (NFP):
- Proposals with a not-for-profit partner must seek partner and project eligibility approval before proceeding
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or a business development representative to discuss the eligibility of an NFP organization before submission of the completed application package
…if you would like feedback on your application:
- We strongly encourage you to submit a draft copy of your application to email@example.com no later than January 13, 2021 at 5 p.m. PT for an opportunity to receive a one-time pre-review feedback
- Draft application must be provided using the current application form
Step 3: Complete your application package
Please submit the following documents as separate documents (ZIP files are recommended) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 10, 2021 at 5 p.m. PT. Late submissions will not be accepted.
All applicants will receive a confirmation email from Mitacs when a complete application has been received.
- Please download and complete the application form*
- A memorandum (Section 7 – MEMORANDUM) signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three letters of support on letterhead with signature required:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor**
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise**
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization that includes the amount of the financial contribution
- Any supplementary documents as applicable
*If the application form is not showing in your Internet browser, we recommend saving it to your desktop. To do this, right-click on the link and select “Save Link As”. Then use a PDF reader to access it at your convenience.
**If references would like to send their letters confidentially, they may email them to email@example.com. All letters must be received at Mitacs by the competition deadline.
- All applications should be prepared using the most current application form found on the website
- Review the Writing Your Elevate Proposal Guide when you begin writing your proposal
From former/current supervisors
Former or current supervisors who are providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- When did you supervise the proposed fellow, and how many other students have you supervised at the same level? [as applicable]
- Please comment on the productivity and accomplishments of the proposed fellow, relative to other researchers you have known and/or supervised at the same career stage.
- Make note of any particular achievements (e.g., publication record, patents, awards and scholarships, high-impact research results, leadership, mentoring, accomplishments in teaching, related industry or entrepreneurial activities) by the proposed fellow that you would like to further comment on.
From partner organizations
A current or potential industrial supervisor who is providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- To what extent have you interacted with the applicant and/or the proposed academic supervisor in the past?
- Based on the proposed research project and on the previous interactions you had with the applicant, how do you foresee that the applicant’s work might benefit your company?
- If you are not already collaborating with the applicant, how do you envision your role in an eventual partnership? For example, you may describe the expected level of implication of your enterprise in terms of project design, in-kind contributions and access to facilities;
- The Elevate program provides professional skills and R&D management training to fellows. Please comment whether you anticipate this training to be beneficial to the success of the fellow and your collaborative research project. If the fellow will have additional training opportunities through your organization, please provide details on these.
- If applicable, please describe the location/site that the applicant will be working at, and how much time you expect the applicant to work directly with your company
- Please indicate your willingness to fund the applicant for the duration of the fellowship and in what amount. If you are unable to support the fellow for the entire two years, please provide an explanation.
Successful applicants receive a Mitacs Elevate award of $60,000 per year, renewable for a second year, for a total award of $120,000, as well as the mandatory research management training curriculum ($15,000 non-cash value over two years); a minimum stipend / salary of $55,000 per year is allocated to the fellow and up to $5,000 is allocated to research costs. Mitacs follows tri-council guidelines with respect to the use of funds towards eligible research costs. Awards are typically forwarded annually as a lump sum of $60,000 to the supervising faculty member, to be held as a research grant at their home university, pending Mitacs receipt of the following:
- the $30,000 annual partner contribution
- where applicable, documentation that a $5,000 annual contribution will be made available to the fellow in lieu of provincial funding. Visit our eligibility page to determine if additional funding is required for your application.
- any necessary documentation such as a Declaration of Conflict of Interest and/or other documentation as appropriate
Please note: Costs can only be incurred after research approval of the proposal AND the receipt of the partner funds at Mitacs as per Mitacs Policy.