We are accepting applications for Mitacs Elevate until February 19, 2020. Please note that your Intent to Apply and Conflict of Interest Declaration are due January 8, 2020.
*NEW* We accept cross-provincial Elevate applications, where the partner and university are in different provinces.
IMPORTANT: applicants are strongly encouraged to resolve the following before submitting their proposals:
- Submit an Intent to Apply no later than January 8, 2020 at 5 p.m. PT (non-mandatory)
- If applicable, submit an Intern Conflict of Interest (COI) Declaration. A declared conflict of interest must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 8, 2020 at 5 p.m. PT. Please consult the Conflict of Interest section under Program Administration.
- Proposals with a not-for-profit partner must seek partner and project eligibility approval before proceeding. Please contact us at email@example.com or a business development representative to discuss the eligibility of an NFP organization before submission of the completed application package.
- All applications should be prepared using the most current template found on the website. We strongly encourage you to submit a draft copy of your proposal for a one-time pre-review to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-reviews must be provided using the current program application form and will be accepted no later than January 22, 2020 at 5 p.m. PT.
- Review the Writing Your Elevate Proposal Guide when you begin writing your proposal
- The completed Mitacs Elevate proposal should be written and submitted to email@example.com. Late submissions will not be accepted.
A completed Application Package consists of the following:
- A completed application form
- A memorandum (Section 7 – MEMORANDUM) signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three signed letters of support required, on letterhead:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization on partner organization letterhead that confirms the amount of the financial commitment
- Any supplementary documents as applicable
Please submit the documents of your package as separate documents. Please do not combine them all in one file. ZIP files recommended.
If references would like to send their letters confidentially, they may email them to elevatereferences(at)mitacs.ca. All letters must be received at Mitacs by the competition deadline.
When you have all the necessary documents ready, please submit them by email to elevate(at)mitacs.ca. All applicants will receive a confirmation email from Mitacs when a complete application has been received.
From former/current supervisors
Former or current supervisors who are providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- When did you supervise the proposed fellow, and how many other students have you supervised at the same level? [as applicable]
- Please comment on the productivity and accomplishments of the proposed fellow, relative to other researchers you have known and/or supervised at the same career stage.
- Make note of any particular achievements (e.g., publication record, patents, awards and scholarships, high-impact research results, leadership, mentoring, accomplishments in teaching, related industry or entrepreneurial activities) by the proposed fellow that you would like to further comment on.
From partner organizations
A current or potential industrial supervisor who is providing a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant should include the following information:
- To what extent have you interacted with the applicant and/or the proposed academic supervisor in the past?
- Based on the proposed research project and on the previous interactions you had with the applicant, how do you foresee that the applicant’s work might benefit your company?
- If you are not already collaborating with the applicant, how do you envision your role in an eventual partnership? For example, you may describe the expected level of implication of your enterprise in terms of project design, in-kind contributions and access to facilities;
- The Elevate program provides professional skills and R&D management training to fellows. Please comment whether you anticipate this training to be beneficial to the success of the fellow and your collaborative research project. If the fellow will have additional training opportunities through your organization, please provide details on these.
- If applicable, please describe the location/site that the applicant will be working at, and how much time you expect the applicant to work directly with your company
- Please indicate your willingness to fund the applicant for the duration of the fellowship and in what amount. If you are unable to support the fellow for the entire two years, please provide an explanation.
Successful applicants receive a Mitacs Elevate award of $60,000 per year, renewable for a second year, for a total award of $120,000, as well as the mandatory research management training curriculum ($15,000 non-cash value over two years); a minimum stipend / salary of $55,000 per year is allocated to the fellow and up to $5,000 is allocated to research costs. Mitacs follows tri-council guidelines with respect to the use of funds towards eligible research costs. Awards are typically forwarded annually as a lump sum of $60,000 to the supervising faculty member, to be held as a research grant at their home university, pending Mitacs receipt of the following:
- the $30,000 annual partner contribution
- where applicable, documentation that a $5,000 annual contribution will be made available to the fellow in lieu of provincial funding. Visit our eligibility page to determine if additional funding is required for your application.
- any necessary documentation such as a Declaration of Conflict of Interest and/or other documentation as appropriate
Please note: Costs can only be incurred after research approval of the proposal AND the receipt of the partner funds at Mitacs as per Mitacs Policy.